Hi again! So I started on “Phase 3” or the downtown/passenger part of my layout today. I’d like to share my progress through the next few months if anybody’s interested. Till I figure this out better I guess I’ll just explain and put pics at the bottom for now. If anyone has a suggestion or a step by step process of how to put photos in different places in the body of the post that would be great. I am not real savvy at this stuff.
So I’ll try to footnote this as much as possible.
After settling on a final downtown layout I cleared the area and drew out the roads and sidewalks with sharpies. I like to use different colors for different materials. Less confusing. I then traced out the sidewalk dimensions on 1/4” thick foam sheets. After cutting them out I sanded the edges and coated them with spackle. Now those have to dry.
Next I recessed the trolly track by tracing it out and cutting just outside the line with a jigsaw. Screwing up from underneath I closed it up with a couple strips of luan. I used a few scraps of the foam to shim the track to where I HOPE I wanted it…screwed it in and poured it full of a material called Smooth-it. I left the ends open so I can install bumpers later. I just use a loose truck to clean out for wheels after it sets up a bit. Now that has to dry.
I want the platforms and the walkway to them to be up level with the track so I replaced the trackbed with sheets of the same material to fill in.
I then weathered the track. I just use a reddish brown acrylic through an airbrush and a Scotchbrite pad over the top of the rails after. While I had it all out I went ahead and painted all the areas that will be ‘natural’ landscape just so no white shows through.
I finished my day on the layout by experimenting with some ‘clay foam’ that my buddy discovered recently and some cobblestone and brick texture rolling pins to make the streets.
I capped off the night shift in the shop part of my basement with the trolly bumpers. I’m using the old Lionel style because I believe they’re the most solid but I wanna make them more realistic. So far I’ve ground out the sides and primered them. Next I’m gonna try to do somethin with those lights.
Well…that’s about it for day 1! Thanks for l👀kin!!!