And now for some more photos. First below is my most recent finished project. The original brake wheel stand was broken off, so I changed that. And it was missing the searchlight dome cover, so I made one from the plastic from a milk carton, along with this clear ribbed plastic stuff that is really made for kitchen shelf covering. Now some might argue the Disney figures are completely unprototypical. Depending on your feelings about the Penn Central... I have a friend who jokes the Penn Central was a Mickey Mouse operation, so maybe it's more realistic that it seems.
Next below is prototype and fantasy combined. I like the Norfolk Southern Enviro scheme that was used on one single engine, the 999. Norfolk Southern has no Alco FA's, but I do. I realized finding decals for the "wave" part of the white striping was going to be impossible. And doing an identical paint mask on each side was going to be a huge challenge. So I did a simplified version of that scheme and added a zero to the unit number, though I still have to make the number boards for this one.
Next is a shorty Lionel plug door box car. I know it's the wrong shade of blue for CSX rolling stock, but I like it over the dark blue that is normally used. RMT had issued one of their 2-bay hoppers in the CSX Coke Express scheme. But the RMT version had white lettering. I looked high and low to find a photo of that car with white lettering and could find none. So I did my own Coke Express hopper and stumbled upon this shade of blue. I knew it wasn't right (those hoppers were black) but I liked it. So then I did this box car also. We 3-railers are a funny breed, aren't we? Somethings bother us, even though they're accurate, and other things that aren't accurate, we like. Well... maybe NOT all of us.
This next one was inspired by a fantasy paint scheme MTH put on a Lehigh Valley steamer. This one below was one of those Lionel late 1980's DC only starter set engines. Aside from the paint scheme, I added weight to the engine, so it can pull a train now. I also added a headlight, handrails, some other details and moved the drawbar from the tender to make the engine and tender closer.
Next is a K-Line flat done up for NS. For some reason, K-Line had a thick round mounting on the body, where the trucks attach. I used a Dremel and sanded down the thickness of those, so that the car sets lower to the track and looks much better. I don't remember where I got the bars running along the deck surface... I cut them down from something... they hold items like these Tonka tractors in place. But I can also now put a whole variety of items on this particular flat car, which I like the flexibility of.
Next below, a Lionel woodside reefer. Aside from repainting, I also cut down the body mounts where the trucks get attached to the car, so that the car rides a little lower to the track and looks better with my other smaller more 027-ish rolling stock.
I might have posted this one on one of the Saturday Switcher threads. On my local division of the Norfolk Southern, there's some tight curves that the bigger engines just cannot maneuver through. So some Alco FA's had to be put into service. This was one of the older K-Line unpainted, molded plastic colored engines, either a Pennsy or Southern from one of the starter sets. Looks good to me now.