Skip to main content

 

A Lionel Pullmor Motor from a Postwar Lionel 1862 General.....1959-62

I've cleaned it well, new brushes and springs...lubed it as well

On the bench for tests.

It will run but exhibits an odd behaviour somewhat hard to explain.....it's like it has a "miss" going on, quite pronounced. 

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dave

IMG_0018IMG_0020

 

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_0018
  • IMG_0020
Last edited by Soo Line
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

 

Many Thanks Gents for all your replies.

I've followed all the information here.

Communator cleaned well, all lubrication done, segments measure 2-3 ohms...and windings don't touch rotor body.

 

I have managed to get the motor working well now...sort of.

It does work, however, I have way too much heat build up on the motor winding coil.  It gets very very hot.

Might any of you know what would cause this excessive heat?

And....are there 2 washers and a thrust bearing behind the windings and another set from below where the  C clip slides in place?

Thanks

Dave

 

IMG_0006 [5)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0006 (5)
Last edited by Soo Line

 

Thanks for the help Guys

Starting over from scratch...in case I missed something.  I am not overly knowledgeable with the issues I am having.

This is a 2 position E unit set up  -   bench testing without the E unit.

In the pics attached.....2 wires are joined from the coil (red and green) top right - 2 wires (longer)  from the coil (red and green) lower left right.

How should I hook all this up for bench testing?  I know things will be different when the E unit is incorporated.

Dave

IMG_0001 [10)IMG_0003 [8)

 

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_0001 (10)
  • IMG_0003 (8)
Last edited by Soo Line

Does anyone have Bob Hannon's book handy, to look up what the typical resistance is for one of these motors?  

Also @Soo Line you mentioned "new brushes."  There are some motor brushes being sold as replacement parts which have a very high resistance.  They are NOT a proper substitute for postwar brushes and will cause excess heat and other issues if used.  If I had caught that the first time I read this thread I would have suggested that you clean the old brushes and put them back. 

A new armature isn't expensive, but in my experience a shorted coil is pretty rare.  Keep trying, don't give up!

Dave G  ..........  The one set of red green wires top right in pic I soldered to one brush.  I applied power to the other brush and negative to either of the remaining 2 red green wires.  One of those for one direction and the other for the other direction.

I did notice your comment on going to the body of the motor for ground but I could not get that to work.

Ted....I had done an extensive search on my issues and did learn about problems with new brushes.  Unfortunately I have already discarded the old brushes.

Thanks

Dave

Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×