'Request to Build' comes up enough that we need a consistent way to deal with it.
Firstly, Start the Thread with 'Request to Build: Model Train Part Number x-xxxxx' This is so the thread doesn't get buried and lost over time... and, allows Designer's to easily search 'Request to Build' listings and much more likely to result in a positive outcome for both parties.
1. Give the Designers as much information as you can... please be concise not prolific in your descriptions. If you cannot commit to doing the research then the likelihood of finding a Designer willing to do the leg work for you without assurances that the project will proceed are fairly close to Zero.
2. Name the Manufacturer, Make, Model, Part Number (not, this model... or, that model etc.)
3. Dimensional Drawings and Photographs. If concerned about copyright... .zip your 'project' files and have them available to email to Designers 'before' posting a 'Request to Build' and please state that you have the .zip files available in your post. You may and are encouraged to provide a list of URL(s) that you have found in your post (do not count on a Designer doing that research for you... see, 1. above).
4. Measurements. If you have the part/item... please use a set of calipers to provide accurate inside and outside dimensions. OR, if you can send the part/item to the Designer please state that in your post.
5. Do not discuss prices/payments/financing on the forum... please, do so privately.
Anybody, who wishes to add, edit or delete the above info please have at it.