I hope Tom does not mind if I use a little space at the bottom of his thread. I saw a 227 type shell for sale recently, which did not look to bad. I have a frame with wheels that I thought I might be able to get working again, so I got the shell and am now three days deep into the project. There was more missing and more needing repair than I thought, but I think I will be able to bring another 0-6-0 back to life.
The motor frame had three plugs on the brush plate, which means it was either a 231 or 232. I do not have a tender that will work with a 232, so I changed the brush plate to a two plug unit so it will be either a 227 or 228. The boiler front was missing, but I found a usable 228 front in my junk box. All it needed was a new head light lens and a new grab iron in front.
The commutator was real rough so I wanted to sand and lap it smooth and flat. The pinion is held on the armature shaft with a slotted set screw. I was unable to get to budge and did not want to split the slotted set screw. That would be a real bear to get out. There was enough clearance with the brush plate removed to lap the commutator in place. My fingers are still sore from rotating the armature by holding on to the pinion gear. It was low adjacent to all the slots, but came out really nice. One of the worm shaft bearings had an oval shaped bore, so it was replaced. All cleaned and greased up, put the motor on and ran it for a while. Everything ran smooth and quite.
Then the side rods and valve gear went back on. I found one of the cams that makes the valve gear wok was not working properly on the gear side. But I did not want to pull a wheel to get it to work, so I will live with that. The e-unit with the engine did not work, and I had another e unit that did not work, but inputting the two together, and making only one piece, I now have one eunit that works well. That is as far as I got tonight. It has been a fun project.