Updating...March 22, 2019
I have some news on all things #228 related. I had picked up two prewar #228's off of eBay, one just before Christmas. We'll call that one #228 number three (since it was my third #228). The other around New Years (yes, #228 number four). The first one was not running when it arrived, but I was able to get it running after soldering on a disconnected wire. However, I noticed the wiring was pretty brittle. I guess my wiring would be a little brittle if I was almost going on 80! So, again, I got it running and the e-unit worked flawlessly, but it was running on too many volts. Luckily, Harry Henning answered my email and said, "Tom, send that bad boy in." This was my second (in a row) prewar switcher where I needed help. Harry's brother Tom worked on it and after I got it back, after being rewired and repaired, it ran like smoothly like it just left Joshua's factory.
#228 number three...
Three of my four #228's are seen here, the repaired #228 is in the middle after coming back from Harry Henning's shop. On the left is my usual workbench #228 switcher, on the right is the new arrival, received in January 2019.
#228 number four...
This one luckily broke up my string of needing to ship my switchers off for repairs, which I hate to do.
This locomotive ran well from the start, but was a bit noisy. A little Red 'N' Tacky on the gears and Labelle oil on the armature shaft and she is also another smooth runner, just like the day she left the factory.