What an awesome #SwitcherSaturday!  Thanks to everyone for participating.

 

And of course, the price of my B6 - same price as you paid Bruce (brwebster), so I guess I'm not alone on getting the great deal.  I thought it was a steal at that price, it really is a fantastic switcher, likely going to be one of my favorites!

 

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!  The weather here in Maryland has been fantastic, we spent tons of time outside yesterday, hope to do again today!

 

Best...Rich

Originally Posted by joeyA:
 

Laming, it sounds like you have a really fun and interesting job!  Not many people get to operate 1:1 scale ALCo diesels these days...and get paid for it, too!

 

Sorry to get slightly off topic here, but have you ever thought of recording the sounds of those awesome ALCo products while at work?  As you know, relatively speaking there aren't that many left in existence...and there will be fewer and fewer as time goes by.

 

Now back to our regular programming...

 

Hi Joe!

 

I full well realize I am very blessed to be able to do something that's been in my blood since before I can remember, and get paid very good money to do so. 

 

The biggest challenge for all of us is surviving the summers here in the Sunbelt. 

 

Tomorrow's forecast is calling for 103 degrees with a heat index of 107. However, that's down from the heat index of 110 we dealt with last week.  Worst summer was a couple of years ago when we had record breaking heat. Here in Ft. Smith we set an all-time record high of 115 degrees... Lord only knows what the heat index was. That was a tough summer. I was very concerned for the ground crews during that summer.

 

However, overall, I enjoy the job.  Few places left in the US where you can be sitting in the hole on a chugging Alco while waiting for a meet with an all-Alco powered train...

 

 

010208e

 

Then at the other end of the heat spectrum is winter. However, with winter, as long as I've got a good heater in the cab (feet nice n' toasty warm/etc) and a full thermos of HOT coffee (black, thank you)... I'm good to go. Plus, the ground crewman can come up to the cab and warm up when needed before hitting it again. I really enjoy my job once the cooler weather is here.  Hard to believe, but we DO get snow in the Sunbelt!

 

 

 

 

020911a

 

As for recording the sounds: 

 

The "Electronic Device" rules are so restrictive now, I'm afraid that's not possible. Plus, the noises in the cab are not like the noises trackside. In otherwords, you don't really hear the exhaust as clearly as you do the relays snapping/popping, traction motors humming, etc, that you hear inside the cab. 

 

There are some very good videos of Alco's on YouTube that give good sounds.

 

Speaking of YouTube, here's a clip of yours truly leaving Van Buren, AR with a short excursion train. The clip was shot by some enthusiast and someone linked it to me way back when. Anyway, in this clip, we're headed for the mountains to eventually run-around and return to Van Buren/Ft. Smith. Pretty much an all day-er for the passengers. (Note: Skip to about the 3:30 mark for action. The previous portion is just sitting as the passenger/food loading takes place.)

 

 

 

Have fun!

 

 

Attachments

Photos (2)
Love the CNJ ALCo's, Bob!!  Nice find at the G'berg show!
 
Originally Posted by taycotrains:

Late entry !!!

Picked this up at the Greenberg Edison show today.

MTH CNJ RS3 power and dummy.

Joe A.

Enjoying this Great Hobby in memory of Dad & Pop...the "original Joe's" responsible for my interest in trains!!

Originally Posted by laming:
Originally Posted by joeyA:

Laming, it sounds like you have a really fun and interesting job!  Not many people get to operate 1:1 scale ALCo diesels these days...and get paid for it, too!

 

Sorry to get slightly off topic here, but have you ever thought of recording the sounds of those awesome ALCo products while at work?  As you know, relatively speaking there aren't that many left in existence...and there will be fewer and fewer as time goes by.

 

Now back to our regular programming...

Hi Joe!

 

I full well realize I am very blessed to be able to do something that's been in my blood since before I can remember, and get paid very good money to do so. 

 

The biggest challenge for all of us is surviving the summers here in the Sunbelt. 

 

Tomorrow's forecast is calling for 103 degrees with a heat index of 107. However, that's down from the heat index of 110 we dealt with last week.  Worst summer was a couple of years ago when we had record breaking heat. Here in Ft. Smith we set an all-time record high of 115 degrees... Lord only knows what the heat index was. That was a tough summer. I was very concerned for the ground crews during that summer.

 

However, overall, I enjoy the job.  Few places left in the US where you can be sitting in the hole on a chugging Alco while waiting for a meet with an all-Alco powered train...

 

Then at the other end of the heat spectrum is winter. However, with winter, as long as I've got a good heater in the cab (feet nice n' toasty warm/etc) and a full thermos of HOT coffee (black, thank you)... I'm good to go. Plus, the ground crewman can come up to the cab and warm up when needed before hitting it again. I really enjoy my job once the cooler weather is here.  Hard to believe, but we DO get snow in the Sunbelt!

 

As for recording the sounds: 

 

The "Electronic Device" rules are so restrictive now, I'm afraid that's not possible. Plus, the noises in the cab are not like the noises trackside. In otherwords, you don't really hear the exhaust as clearly as you do the relays snapping/popping, traction motors humming, etc, that you hear inside the cab. 

 

There are some very good videos of Alco's on YouTube that give good sounds.

 

Speaking of YouTube, here's a clip of yours truly leaving Van Buren, AR with a short excursion train. The clip was shot by some enthusiast and someone linked it to me way back when. Anyway, in this clip, we're headed for the mountains to eventually run-around and return to Van Buren/Ft. Smith. Pretty much an all day-er for the passengers. (Note: Skip to about the 3:30 mark for action. The previous portion is just sitting as the passenger/food loading takes place.)

 

Have fun!

Laming, thank you for taking the time to give such a thorough reply.  Very insightful...and I really enjoyed the video, too!  Enjoy those wonderful ALCo's!! 

Joe A.

Enjoying this Great Hobby in memory of Dad & Pop...the "original Joe's" responsible for my interest in trains!!

Originally Posted by taycotrains:

Late entry !!!

 

Picked this up at the Greenberg Edison show today.

 

MTH CNJ RS3 power and dummy.

Bob:

 

Very nice. Even the road number is correct as the 1705 was one of the units to wear that version of the red scheme as seen in this John Garnecky photo from www.rr-fallenflags.org.

 

Enjoy your new acquisition.

 

Bob 

 

CNJ1705

Attachments

Photos (1)
Originally Posted by CNJ 3676:

Very nice. Even the road number is correct as the 1705 was one of the units to wear that version of the red scheme as seen in this John Garnecky photo from www.rr-fallenflags.org.

 

Enjoy your new acquisition.

 

Bob 

 

Thanks Bob....The one thing that sucks is MTH in there infinite wisdom used the same 1705 number on the dummy....I picked up both units for a little under $200.00 the power unit is showing 39.5 hours of use and there where no boxes .

Bob Taylor


Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
×