The idea came up to build a suitable replacement for the ERR Mini Commander that is no longer available. This is a thread to kick around the concept and see if it makes sense, and what capabilities it would have.
Some basic starting thoughts, feel free to expand or call into question any of my assumptions. Remember, this has to be somewhat limited so we can make it happen for a reasonable price.
- Unit to be based on the Lionel R2LC/R4LC board with a small motherboard with additional components to add functionality.
- An H-Bridge motor driver chip to be connected to the Forward and Reverse PWM outputs to drive a small motor with the throttle outputs. I've tentatively identified the MPS MP6513 as a possible choice, .8A motor drive with full thermal and over-current protection.
- A latching relay or circuit to allow persistent control by use of the coupler outputs. I've tentatively identified the Kemet EE2 series 2-coil latching relay, it has 2A capability and is a DPDT part.
- Capacitors across the lighting and smoke outputs to allow the use of LED's without load caps external to the board. Perhaps a series resistor to allow direct drive of LED lights from the lighting outputs.
- Connector pads for all the above functions on the board.
That's my starting grid, let's hear some ideas.