I am back! After taking about 3 years off from trains I am building a new layout. This time around it will be transformer controlled, and be easy for my kids to run.
The setting will be 1945 and steam is king. It is a small Lake Michigan coastal town of Little Rapids. Its late November and snow is on the ground but Lake Michigan is still free from ice and the fisherman still head out each morning.
I will be starting my benchwork this weekend and have a pretty good idea of my track plan.
Here are some things I am planning for the layout:
1) Siding with Grain elevator
2) Train station with passing siding in front
3) Operating Drawbridge
4) Grist Mill with operating water wheel
5) The whole back of the layout will be elevated kinda like how my last layout was. What is new is the hidding siding will be behind the elevation so I can park an extra train back there.
6) Great Lakes Car Ferry. Phase 1 of the layout it will only be on display on the actual layout loaded with my scale size freight cars that will not be running on the current layout. Phase 2 will be in a few years when I can remove the closet and build a yard to where I can load and unload the ferry itself.
7) Harbor scene separate from the car ferry. If you ever been to Leeland, MI aka "Fishtown" it is the scened I have in mind.
8) Snow and lots of it. Layout will be set in late November, snow still on the ground but Lake Michigan still free from ice and the fishing is still open.
I have plenty more ideas and will post photos of the completed room soon along with a basic trackplan.