I just ripped out my second layout and am planning my third. Hopefully I will learn from my many mistakes!
Attached is the current design, both the track plan and a rough of where the operating accessories could go. If it is an appropriate questions for the forum, I would appreciate some any thoughts and reactions (I have done the last two by myself)
- It is in an attic - space is tight, 14 x 14 feet. I need to work around some fans, ducts (why the table on the north side have big gaps) and dormers. I have to be able to reach everything from the center walk way because of the angle of the rafters.
- All Lionel equipment from 1952-57, including a number of operating accessories (thanks Uncle Bob).
- All Gargraves phantom track, most saved from Layout 2. Yes I debate going with the full 1950s look by using tubular track but Peter Riddle's book (Trains from Grandfather's Attic) convinced me it is OK to use modern track.
- I think I am moving from Lionel 022 (some vintage, some modern) to Ross Custom Switches - never liked the look of the 022s versus wood ties, want greater flexibility.
- Wine colored track is a yard for staging trains and working the operating accessories - yes I know I need to space things and think about location of remote control tracks
- Multi-colored track is one long loop with automatic block controls to support 3 trains operating continuously without intervention
Thanks for any thoughts - and thanks for all the posts. It's been a couple of years since I have had to think how to build a layout and the last couple of weeks has reinforced that the forum is a wonderful resource.