I have a couple of Lionel UP GP-9s with single Pullmor motor, TMCC, and Railsounds. One is from the 6-11956 lash-up set and the other is from the 6-11837 GP-9 Unit Train. These locomotives have a lot of sentimental value, but these days I hate running anything that doesn't have cruise control. I've been wondering about the possibility of converting them to DC can motors and adding cruise via an ERR Cruise Commander module. I've seen a post by @Newt about this kind of conversion but have a few questions:
- It seems to me this project would involve replacing the Pullmor motor with a DC can motor, replacing the ACDR board with an ERR Cruise Commander, and wiring everything up. Am I missing anything?
- I haven't replaced motors in locomotives before...
- What exactly is involved?
- Where could I purchase appropriate DC can motors?
- Is it possible to replace a motor and keep the original powered truck?
- For those of you who've done this (or something similar), can you share any advice or pitfalls you encountered?
Thanks in advance for all your help!