Skip to main content

I am still wiring my layout. I am living under layou for about the last two weeks. I feel like the troll under the bridge from the story books. Part of my problem is obtaining sufficient supplies at my local stores. Radio shack only stocks a few of any itm I need, and ordering direct from their warehouse in Dallas takes forever. Because of where I live in extreme Northern New York, I am not close to the larger suppliers. But, I am making progress every day.

EL Bob

I stayed up late last night to work on a section of track that typically gives me derailments with my scale Legacy berk.  I found that the track wasn't 100% level and it caused it to go out of gauge when the heavy berk went though it.  

 

So I was using my Legacy ten wheeler pulling 3 MTH scale passenger cars though that section to test if it would stay level.   The very last passenger car split the frogs on a switch not even near that section and the wheels came in contact with the center rail.  The Legacy ten wheeler then went crazy and a bunch of static came from the tender for about 3 seconds before my MRC breaker tripped.  

 

I think I fried the RS system.  The loco runs normal but no sound except static!  I tried a factory reset with no joy.

 

Guess it will have to go to Lionel for an out of warranty repair, since I am a 2nd owner of this locomotive.  Frustrating since I only have had this locomotive for a week.  I typically have good luck with electronics, train and non train stuff.  Frist my CAB 2 goes nuts now this.  

 

Pete

I don't understand it either but then again maybe an upstart from the G gauge world will enter the O market. Then again, maybe like the manufacturers I simply have too much already invested in what I have.. to begin considering reinventing my little O world if it were available unless I had bottomless pockets of disposable cash. Then again, I thought weather proofed outdoor O gauge trains were a great alternative to G and that was a decade ago. Of course I still haven't figured out how to keep critters from messing up my outdoor layout. I could see my lab walking away with an O gauge engine in it's mouth. I guess be careful what you wish for is still true.

The wide open floor look of the Plasticville Frosty Bar always kind of bugged me, so I made a few additions:

-Ice cream freezer and ice machine formed out of sheet aluminum (no painting) salvaged from a microwave.

-Table out of scrap plastic.

-Mop bucket sawn from a plastic Venetian blind cord end.  With a thin wooden dowel stuck in it with white glue (which turned brown).

-Tile floor made from sheet plastic and painted in black and white squares.

Originally Posted by TrainsRMe:

The wide open floor look of the Plasticville Frosty Bar always kind of bugged me, so I made a few additions:

-Ice cream freezer and ice machine formed out of sheet aluminum (no painting) salvaged from a microwave.

-Table out of scrap plastic.

-Mop bucket sawn from a plastic Venetian blind cord end.  With a thin wooden dowel stuck in it with white glue (which turned brown).

-Tile floor made from sheet plastic and painted in black and white squares.

Pictures Please!

Nothing, again. I have been fighting a cold for the past week and have not felt like doing much on the layout. Last week I did cut some masonite to finish around the shelf I have my transformer, TIU, TMCC base, etc on. I need to now screw it in and give it the first coat of paint. Maybe I will be able to work on it later in the week.

 

Originally Posted by swise:
Originally Posted by clem k:

Installed 6 Tortoise switch machines

I have 25 switches on my layout, and while I'd love to use torsoise machines and get rid of my DZ ones, I sweat when thinking about the pain involved in installing them.   I'll bet after the first 6, the rest are easy!

This six is part of the expansion. It is pretty easy went you do all the prep work right, only under the table 15 min. per motor. The hard part was finding the right size phillips head screw driver bit for the #4 mounting screws. 

Encountered my first real DCS problem. Spent hour and half trying to solve. Ended up resetting TIU and remote. Removed TIU from layout and set up single test track from fixed output one. Powered TIU seperately with 18 volt AC transformer. Followed Barry's steps. still could not add any engines. Put project to bed and ran Legacy only for another  hour. Nice to have separate systems when one goes down. 

Continued a BCR and BCR2 battery replacement process for older MTH steam.  Only problem encountered so far was a first generation Rail King Berkshire that appears to be locked into neutral.  A battery set in a Rail King E-6 started to leak at the top but was replaced in time with a BCR2 before it could do any damage.  More battery replacement lies ahead.  Replaced some O72 Real Trax with O82 Real Trax.  The Lionmaster Challengers and Rail King Alleghenies already looked good on O72 with minimal overhang and now look even better on O82.  Long heavy freights are less likely to derail due to less tension on the broader curvature.  Will continue to replace as many O72 with O82 as I can given space limitations but each new O82 installation helps the layout a lot.  The CN Turbo will also look nicer on O82.

Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×