Decided to slide my entire 9x13 layout forward about 5 inches. This gave me room to add 13 feet of additional siding along the back wall so I can hold passenger trains (or a container lash-up) on the layout without having to remove cars. Thought I had enough room to drop a second level staging area under my layout using this added space, but just not enough room unless I used an 8% grade.
When I do this again (in my next house) I'll incorporate plenty of staging area or yard space. And make sure I have reversing loops.
Pulled out the sidings and the plywood decking. I did not have enough support underneath this section so it tended to sag. Good time to fix that problem. The extra 5 inches also made it much easier to stand up in the corners.
The siding will run against the brick concrete wall. I have not decided yet if I will keep it a dead end or add another turnout so I don't have to back out. That means tearing out a bit of ballasted section I put in a week ago. Amazingly after sliding the "c" shaped layout forward, the three bridges still lined up pretty well. Since I knew this layout would be only temporary, there is no roadbed installed - except where I was trying out foam roadbed. Right now I am not a fan.