Yesterday the switcher ran. Today it sits there and hums. Moved the E-unit throttle to no avail. I suspect it is an issue with the E-Unit.
Replies sorted oldest to newest
Wiring diagram is going to be similar to that of the Alco on page 477: https://www.lionelsupport.com/...nt1to9/1Complete.pdf
E-unit operation and service is discussed on pg 460 of the same document.
usually the switching gear of the "E" unit a tooth breaks off of the gear and the gear wont move anymore so it stays in the last position it was left in probably neutral or the fingers below the E unit break off so the field or armature no longer make contact with the gear and the electrical fingers are replaceable . they can be purchased form Lionel parts places on the internet! shame you didn't go to York TCA train meet October 21 22 23 !
post war lionel e unit parts - Bing images
Lionel Three Position E-Unit Contacts and Drum Repair Kit - www.rudystoys.com
bmoran4, thanks very much. This info will be very useful.
Alan Marcus and bmoran4, A couple of questions.
1) Does it pay to repair the unit or replace it?
2) What is the Lionel part # to replace it?
3) Does it pay to replace it with an electronic unit?
- Replacement is easier than repair if you don't have the tools, patients, and experience
- Dallee is the most common referenced electronic replacement unit: https://www.dallee.com/E-Units.html