Skip to main content

I recently purchased a Legacy 0-8-0 switcher new in the box.  Set up the engine using the program switch and sucessfully loaded the module into my 990.  It runs fine but when you hold down a speed icon on the CAB2, you hear a crackle like some dialog is going to happen, but it doesn't.  I also sometimes randomly lose engine chuffing unless I touch the efx button.  Then the chuffing resumes. 

I get crew talk for startup, shutdown and tower/engineer buttons.  Just not speed changes.  Has anyone run into this?  Is there anything I can try?  Clear and reload the module perhaps?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One thing I do with smaller locomotives is to parallel the tender rollers with the locomotive rollers with a small tether wire.  This eliminates the issue of sound dropouts without using a battery.  After seeing several batteries that have leaked all over inside the tender, I don't routinely use a battery for TMCC/Legacy.  I put a PTC in series with the tether to protect the wiring in case of a derailment that shorts the rollers of one unit to the outside rail.

Here's what I tried while frantically cleaning the house for incoming guests...

I went to the Lionel online videos and reprogrammed the engine and still NADA.  Played around with the AUX1 and volume.  NADA.

Other crew talk still works fine, just no tower commands for speed changes.  

John, this is the Legacy PM 1300 6-11251.  It's not a TMCC engine... so do I still try that procedure you outlined above?

I thought I remembered that and checked an on-line version of the manual and didn't see it so I didn't mention it as I thought I was mistaken.

Oh well glad it's that simple.

Nice catch Jim!

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

Never thought of that Jim, checked the manual for my Genset and sure enough!

Last edited by MartyE

There is no mention of this in my manual, but on page 10 (speed bar operation), it states that crew talk sounds when holding down the speed icon (item 19).  Yes, I know this is a switcher, but if this feature is unavailable, then why would the radio static "key" at the beginning and end of the missing sequence?   

Must have been the on-line manual I saw.  I'll shot an email to Rudy to see if he has any insight.

Originally Posted by Volphin:

There is no mention of this in my manual, but on page 10 (speed bar operation), it states that crew talk sounds when holding down the speed icon (item 19).  Yes, I know this is a switcher, but if this feature is unavailable, then why would the radio static "key" at the beginning and end of the missing sequence?   

Hi Volphin,

Sorry I am late to this party--Marty sent me a pointer. You guys have correctly identified what's going on. Because the switchers run a slower speeds, Legacy Switchers have always omitted speed-preset dialog. I left the static burst intact so as to provide some feedback to the operator that indeed, the button press was received. Otherwise, this could masquerade as a CAB2 problem.

Sorry for the confusion, the manual is in error.

-rudy

Last edited by Railsounds

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.