Skip to main content

Hello from the S gauge world,

I am interested in finding a source for steam locomotive detail part.  In particular 0 scale drivers.  I have done some searches for 0 scale drivers, but have yet to come up with anything.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give.

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tom,

What driver diameter and type are you looking for and how many?  I have many un-machined castings and could possibly make you up a set  but I would need some particulars regarding crankpin diameter, crankpin throw, length of crankpins, axle diameter etc. before I could make them up.  Also, do you have bearings to put on the axles?  Do you want a gearbox installed?  I can also provide you with un-machined castings if you deal with these items yourself.

Finding a complete set of finished drivers that will work for your project may be difficult.

Joe Foehrkolb

Baldwin Forge & Machine

Yes, those are reasonable prices, but do not forget to add the cost of machining and insulating.  For, say, a Pacific you are looking at $120 for the castings, plus another $150-200 for the machining and quartering.  Joe is very reasonable, but this stuff can be time-consuming.

A set of metal CLW Pacific drivers just sold on eBay for around $70.  EBay is probably the most cost-effective way of getting O Scale drivers.

Thank you all for the many suggestions.  There are so many sites to browse through and try to figure out what I’m doing...  and figure out where I can compromise.  My basic project is to attempt to model a Reading G3 in S scale.  The 0 scale drivers would be around 60” to get my 80”… that part actually looks doable.  Pilot wheels are a bit tougher.  My 36” is your 27”.  Slaters looks like they might have something close enough in their wagon wheel sets.  Not sure about the prices though.

I finally looked up the 0 scale wheel profile in the NMRA standards and was surprised to find them very close to S scale.  I was hoping they would be closer to S Hi-rail (not to be confused with Am Flyer).  However, I do run some scale profile wheels so that shouldn’t really be a problem for me.

Thanks again,

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.