Skip to main content

Originally Posted by banjoflyer:
Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet:

When it arrives, could you be so kind as to post your thoughts, +/- picture, on the shade of green?  This looks like a much darker green that the car pictured in Jim's post above.  This would likely be a factor in whether or not I order these, unless the darker green is also prototypical.  Thanks. 

- Neal

The color might be a little off but hey it's still a really nice looking car.

Here's some info on the prototypical greenish color that the NYC used on these boxcars.

Another site gives some info on when this color began to be used.

Looks like the "Century Green" color began to be applied to boxcars being repainted in June of 1959 when the NYC adopted the "cigar band" logo. That logo was a whopping 12 feet by 5 foot 4 inch oval!

Maybe on these cars the painter accidently added a little too much black to the mix!

Mark

Mark:

Thanks!  As my modeling interest is late steam & early diesel I'm happy to learn that this style is still in my window (barely).  Here's hoping the pics just make the green look darker than it actually is....

Quite frankly, I never liked the NYC System prototypical green.  Saw it a lot on the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie.  I like the Menards NYC green better.    Will I buy one?  Probably not. Would I like to have one?  Maybe.  I know at $19.99 it can't be beat, and I have 4 Menards cars now.  However, I'm a dull and boring boxcar red (brown) kind of guy.  

Originally Posted by Stoshu:

Bottom line, at least for me, a really good value for a $20 retail priced scale sized car.  They look great, and I can have ten cars for around the price of three of the high priced spread.  They're not for everyone, but I'm not unhappy I picked them up, and I'll likely buy more.

I totally agree John.

I'll add this also. The CN cars from Menards weigh about the same as my Atlas

Steam era classic boxcars.

When coupled the Atlas cars are about 1 3/16 between them.

The Menards cars are 7/8.  I think it looks nicer.

On an 036 Atlas track there is about 1/8" clearance between the cars.

I'm sure they would be fine on 031, maybe not on 027...

Bruce...

This is very helpful - thanks to both you and GRJ!  Personally, as a philosophy, price is a very secondary consideration when I buy anything. Not saying I would pay any price. The opposite - l would prefer one item that is well made to three items at the same price that are not so well made.  Maybe this is based on the school of hard knocks and the old adage - buy right and you cry once, buy wrong and you cry many times.  With that said, I now feel that I have a good feel for the level of quality.  And, I like that they are closely coupled. Will probably be calling Eau Claire today!

To continue on my earlier rant for one more minute - glad the "powers that be" allowed my first post to stand. Frankly, don't know why this forum sometimes observes the "big brother" approach when it comes to honest discussion over a sponsor's product. Factually based opinions (both pro and con) help people make informed decisions, which leads to a better overall experience and relationship with a vendor.  And makes this site more valuable.

Peter
Originally Posted by Menards:

Our email just went live!

Introducing the New York Central Boxcar! This O gauge boxcar will be a beautiful new addition to your train collection! Each boxcar is uniquely numbered, so no two are the same! The box is green in color and contains detailed logos of the New York Central railroad. The chassis is built with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. SKU# 279-2638

BONUS OFFER: Buy 8 New York Central boxcars and save $30! That's only $16.24 each! 

In case you missed it, this week’s email is attached below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

I'm not seeing the discount...am I too late?

Originally Posted by cabinet Bob:

Neal : Will do.!! Sometimes if I order  on Thursday it will be he Friday, if not Monday morning.. Just left word with Menards, my last car I just bought, SOO.. the couplers don't stay closed. Hope customer service has good things to say.. Bob

Cabinet Bob,

Were you able to contact customer service? If not, I would be happy to follow up with you. Just let me know.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Originally Posted by John D.:

John,

Mustang is correct. Simply add 8 New York Central boxcars to your shopping cart and you will see the promotional price.

It's tiny and all the way at the bottom of the shopping cart page.  I have other things in my cart (shh...don't tell the g/f) and was only looking at the line item total.

I first learned of Medards from Paul Menard the NASCAR driver....I would shop at one if they came to PA!!!

Originally Posted by riki:

I've heard and seen that complaint by several people who have bought Menard's cars.

Hopefully they'll fix em.

riki,

I assure you that we only use premium couplers on our boxcars. We receive very few complaints about these.

In the past, there have been posts regarding our flatcars with plastic couplers. Although they are functional, these OGR threads gave great insight on how to adjust the couplers so that they work more effectively. We are constantly improving our products and we receive.

I hope this response addresses any concerns you may have.

I've heard and seen that complaint by several people who have bought Menard's cars.

Hopefully they'll fix em.

riki,

I assure you that we only use premium couplers on our boxcars. We receive very few complaints about these.

In the past, there have been posts regarding our flatcars with plastic couplers. Although they are functional, these OGR threads gave great insight on how to adjust the couplers so that they work more effectively. We are constantly improving our products and we receive.

I hope this response addresses any concerns you may have.

Dear Mr. Menards,

I'm sorry I haven't seen or read the OGR posts to correct the coupler problem.

If you can tell where to find these posts I'll pass them on those who have had these problems.  It's not all of the flat cars that they had problems, but a few of them.

I think they finally hot glued them closed or used those dental teeth rubber bands to solve the problem.

Thanx.

Dear Mr. Menards,

I'm sorry I haven't seen or read the OGR posts to correct the coupler problem.

If you can tell where to find these posts I'll pass them on those who have had these problems.  It's not all of the flat cars that they had problems, but a few of them.

I think they finally hot glued them closed or used those dental teeth rubber bands to solve the problem.

Thanx.

riki,

This post was originally posted by member RailRide. I find it very helpful.

https://urldefense.proofpoint....xl760szPzr2IFE&e

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:
Originally Posted by John D.:

John, you shouldn't be buying NYC cars anyway, they have some nice PRR and Reading RR cars, much more appropriate.  Remember where you'll bring them, you wouldn't want to be banned from running.

I'll never have a collection to Rival HAH3 if I don't snatch up a great deal when I see one.  $16 for a box car is unbelievable! 

Neal : Will do.!! Sometimes if I order  on Thursday it will be he Friday, if not Monday morning.. Just left word with Menards, my last car I just bought, SOO.. the couplers don't stay closed. Hope customer service has good things to say.. Bob

Cabinet Bob,

Were you able to contact customer service? If not, I would be happy to follow up with you. Just let me know.

mark: Emailed them and I THINK ITS OK?? not for sure.. order # MCOM31373617  CONF. # 03278983..Thanks.. Bob..BY THE WAY,I have Every box car and flat car  Menards has   offered

mark: Emailed them and I THINK ITS OK?? not for sure.. order # MCOM31373617  CONF. # 03278983..Thanks.. Bob..BY THE WAY,I have Every box car and flat car  Menards has   offered

Cabinet Bob,

We are happy to have you on our team, thank you!

It sounds like our customer service has sent out the replacement and you should be receiving it shortly. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.