Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hope it's a building which I of course will have to buy! Weathered boxcars I can resist,not a fan!  Between Menards and Korber ' s releases my layout ,when I finally can have one will have to be 150 by 30 to fit everything because I can't resist buildings and building kits! My Dear wife is searching for medication for this affliction,either for me or for her! She says one of us will have to be on it!

Check out this sneak peek of Thursday’s O Gauge release! Stay tuned for more details!

279-2638 Sneak Peek

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

HI Mark....

I just wanted everyone to know about my first purchase of CN cars from Menards.

IT WAS GREAT !

not only the price and quality, but the package arrived in the Livonia MI store

in 5 days. The communication via E mail kept you informed every step of the way.

As soon as they had it in the store I received an E mail. People in the store were

very polite and helpful. What more can you ask for ?

So If anyone is on the fence about dealing with Menards don't be.

Mark, Tell every one involved they are doing a great job.

Bruce....

Originally Posted by cabinet Bob:

wow !!! here we go again..ordered..

central

Bob -

When it arrives, could you be so kind as to post your thoughts, +/- picture, on the shade of green?  This looks like a much darker green that the car pictured in Jim's post above.  This would likely be a factor in whether or not I order these, unless the darker green is also prototypical.  Thanks. 

- Neal

Originally Posted by jim sutter:

According to the Menard's website, I  made a lucky guess. Great work Menard's. Please keep them coming.

Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Menards sure is making major contributions to our hobby.

I also echo these sentiments.  I've heard almost nothing but good things about the recent Menards products.  I do want to clarify that I'm not trying to be overly negative w/my previous posts, it's just more of a matter of my personal tastes & layout goals.  They're doing a great job of filling a niche of low-cost, quality, realistic rolling stock that our hobby needs.

Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet:

Love the car, esp. if it can pass for "scale."  Worried that the shade of green they used may be a bit dark based on the photos on their web site.  Looks more evergreen....  Might snag a few anyways, tho.

I suspect that unless it's different than the Reading cars in size that it can pass for scale.  The Reading cars are a scale 40" long and the only difference from the Lionel scale 40" reefers is about a 1/8" or less width difference.  Looking at them you'd never know.

Our email just went live!

Introducing the New York Central Boxcar! This O gauge boxcar will be a beautiful new addition to your train collection! Each boxcar is uniquely numbered, so no two are the same! The box is green in color and contains detailed logos of the New York Central railroad. The chassis is built with premium metal trucks and operating couplers. SKU# 279-2638

Click here to see more!

279-2638 B

279-2638 A

BONUS OFFER: Buy 8 New York Central boxcars and save $30! That's only $16.24 each! 

In case you missed it, this week’s email is attached below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 279-2638 A
  • 279-2638 B
Files (1)
Last edited by Menards

You know, it's getting so I am getting gun-shy about posting here to seek honest opinions on items being sold by forum sponsors.  Seems that honest posts about product's from forum sponsors that point out the product's shortcomings often, inexplicably, disappear. So this provides a warped basis for making an informed decision about whether to buy that product. The net effect is, when this happens, I don't buy the forum sponsor's product as I can't get to a comfort level given this dynamic. 

With the fear that this post too will be banished to cyberspace, I ask - I've never bought a Menards freight car - and there is no Menard's within 300 miles of where I live and must buy online. I am hoping for an honest opinion on how well made, heavy and detailed they are.  Obviously, a control is needed for the comparison to have value.  In my opinion, Atlas are the most well-made, heaviest and detailed. I think MTH is a close second.  I find the Lionel steam era freight cars to be the lightest and flimsiest of the three - but still a very nice car.  If you have a similar opinion on the Atlas, Lionel and MTH car, this creates a "control" for comparison and I would like to hear your opinion on how the Menard's car as I'd like to buy more than just their buildings. Thanks. 

Last edited by PJB
Originally Posted by PJB:

I am hoping for an honest opinion on how well made, heavy and detailed they are.  Obviously, a control is needed for the comparison to have value.  In my opinion, Atlas are the most well-made, heaviest and detailed. I think MTH is a close second.  I find the Lionel steam era freight cars to be the lightest and flimsiest of the three - but still a very nice car.  If you have a similar opinion on the Atlas, Lionel and MTH car, this creates a "control" for comparison and I would like to hear your opinion on how the Menard's car as I'd like to buy more than just their buildings. Thanks. 

The Menards cars are certainly robust as far as the "flimsy" comment.  They are few "added details" such as you find on some other cars, most of the detail is in the molding.  While this may not suit some folks, there's also less "added detail" to break, which I find to be an issue with Lionel and Atlas cars.  They have all metal trucks, including the couplers.  They do not have the fast angle wheels, the wheelsets are similar to post-war axles with straight bearing surfaces.  They roll quite well after lube, but probably not as freely as the needle point axles in the other brands.  In an interesting twist, the side-frames of the trucks are screwed on, so you can remove them, somewhat unexpected.  The ones I got appear to be scale sized, when compared to the new Lionel PFE reefers, the only difference I see is about 1/8" or less width difference.  Several folks have said they got a couple with coupler issues, the first ten I got all worked well with no issues.  The unique numbers are accomplished using decals.

Bottom line, at least for me, a really good value for a $20 retail priced scale sized car.  They look great, and I can have ten cars for around the price of three of the high priced spread.  They're not for everyone, but I'm not unhappy I picked them up, and I'll likely buy more.

Bottom line, at least for me, a really good value for a $20 retail priced scale sized car.  They look great, and I can have ten cars for around the price of three of the high priced spread.  They're not for everyone, but I'm not unhappy I picked them up, and I'll likely buy more.

I totally agree John.

I'll add this also. The CN cars from Menards weigh about the same as my Atlas

Steam era classic boxcars.

When coupled the Atlas cars are about 1 3/16 between them.

The Menards cars are 7/8.  I think it looks nicer.

On an 036 Atlas track there is about 1/8" clearance between the cars.

I'm sure they would be fine on 031, maybe not on 027...

Bruce...

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.