Skip to main content

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

While 3D printing is a very interesting technology for low volume products, I doubt it'll ever be cost effective for quantity production, at least in most of our lifetimes.  As mentioned, it's great for rapid prototyping, a job it's ideally suited for.

Being able to create parts is a ways down the road, at least metal ones.  The price of those printers is pretty steep.  I see this as a great way to create small plastic models.  Anything large runs up the cost and time to create it.

It has been six months since I got a 3-D printer that we keep in the workshop my youngest boy has behind his house.  Gunrunnerjohn is absolutely correct.  We've "mastered" using the 3-D printer itself, including getting extra heads and materials, etc. - we're comfortable doing anything it can do.

But creating files to drive it to make a custom model is something we have not tackled.  I had hoped that there was something as easy to self-learn and use as 2-D graphic packages, but there is nothing out there like that, apparently: I just have not and probably will not have to time to put that much time into learning the existing software anytime soon.  Hopefully in time the library of model-RR related files available to download and use will grow, and I can apply in that way.  So all I have now is a couple of figures we downloaded, printer, and I painted and put on the layout - not any different than what you get from Model Power, etc., in the final analysis. 

Incidently, there is, at least on ours, a control over the resolution of the printing, so in fast prototype mode you get something that has a slightly nobbly surface - the equivalent of dot matrix printing, but then once you get the model sorted, you print in high resolution  mode which can take a day for a big piece, but it comes out smooth surfaced.

Originally Posted by Flash:
There are cameras that take multiple pictures of an object from different angles. Then renders a 3D image that is sent to a 3D printer.
I've seen these used to create miniature models of a persons head.

I've given this one a try. A bit tricky, but free, and does the processing in the cloud so you don't need a hyper-powerful computer. Autodesk's 123D series also provides some useful 3D modeling tools.

Fred

If one considers the cost of R&D for a new product, ie, a steam engine that has not been previously produced, factor in drafting the blueprints, for product, dies, paint masks and everything else that goes into the process to just make a prototype, then add corrections and working out the initial bugs, it is clear that it is a very costly conventional way of producing a product. This does not include overseas shipping and and trips back and forth dealing with the manufacturer. As the 3D process and equipment costs continue to drop, a comparable level of competitiveness will follow, as is the case with all cutting edge technology. Obviously, those with more disposable income will be the pioneer consumers, followed by the masses upon greater availability and lower cost.
Don

Lee Willis:

I have marvelled at some of your work. Please let me assist your 3D print work.

I have a copy of Solidworks for my work. It allows me to work at home as well.

I will do the 3D file if you can give me detailed 2D drawings or pictures I can work out size from. I do this on a regular basis at work so it's not hard for me.

I'm hoping to get a 3D printer some day. I need it more for my Rocketry but it would be handy for the trains as well.

I need a fairly large one as I need custom nose cones and the next one I want is going to require a 6" cube build area. And that's making it in 2 pieces...

The one after that will be even larger...  Yes, I'm stepping a design up in size.

Moonson it arrived today & I'm really impressed not as rough as I thought may even use as is looking rusty.

It is very light but sturdy so will need a bit of weight. Feels just like a light plastic.

Will try this week end to put the Kato running gear in it.

Been working on another O9 loco today & thoses Kato chassis are super smooth runners as good as the Fleishmann & better than the Bachmann On30 

James

I have successfully printed an O scale sized Chicago Rapid Transit car from Shapeways.

Progress of the build can be found on my blog:

http://ctalayout.blogspot.com/

Some observations ...  everything except the floor was 3D printed from Shapeways. To make an O scale car (and this is a small car by O standards .... 48 feet long), this model is comprised of 13 separate pieces. I did it this was to be able to print in the highest resolution material.

Also, no sanding was done on these parts. They were cleaned then painted. They probably could be made to look better with some sanding, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Sanding is VERY tedious...if you so chose to do it.

Details are good ... the rivets are 3/4" in diameter by 3/4" tall. 

Overall, I'm very impressed by the technology. This printing allows for some more obscure prototypes be modeled.

Once I hammer out some details (related more to the 3D drawings to match the prototype and not the print process) I'll be printing another sample. Then, I'll make the model public for anyone to print.

Cost ... not cheap unfortunately. For a shell, no floor, approximately $275. This is high indeed ... but think back to the days of when some manufacturers (Q-Car or Walthers) was producing shells of either rapid transit cars or interurbans. Taking into account inflation from when these models were last available (maybe late 1980's?), $275 isn't unreasonable.

Plus, the 3D printing allows for complete customization. Windows can be opened, doors opened ... any detail you want can be added just by modifying the file.

Thanks!

CTA Fan

Originally Posted by CTA Fan:
I have successfully printed an O scale sized Chicago Rapid Transit car from Shapeways.

Progress of the build can be found on my blog:

]

Some observations ...  everything except the floor was 3D printed from Shapeways. To make an O scale car (and this is a small car by O standards .... 48 feet long), this model is comprised of 13 separate pieces. I did it this was to be able to print in the highest resolution material.

Also, no sanding was done on these parts. They were cleaned then painted. They probably could be made to look better with some sanding, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Sanding is VERY tedious...if you so chose to do it.

That's great work! You did a good job breaking it into manageable parts. 

The cost of the complete printout is why I think having a home printer is good for those initial printouts where you're working out details, assembly fittings, etc. You definitely don't get the quality you do with Shapeways, but it costs very little so you don't feel so bad about printing out a test article.

Interesting you mentioned sanding; that's one thing I've had a hard time with on items printed on my home printer. The ABS material doesn't sand well at all. It mostly just scuffs.

Fred

From what I have seen of the technology it is improving rapidly, but is a while away from doing what many people want, the kind of fine product people would want. That said, it probably will not be that long before 3D printing moves from prototype work into being able to produce things in a cost effective way. I agree, for home units the big stumbling blocks might be 3D cad (heck, I can't even figure out RR track software!), and I suspect for it really to become something people can do at home, they will need to develop easier software interfaces that allow for easier drawing and production. 30 years ago we had dot matrix printers and they weren't cheap, laser printers were big and expensive......and today printers are color, print photos and are cheap (if the ink isn't).....

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.