Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The cost must be coming down on this process to be able to use it for reproducing toys. I'm not sure if it's cost effective enough yet, or the big boys would be investing in it. This technology will certainly be a game changer at some point. It might even mean the return of Us manufacturing. Unless of course the technology makes its way overseas to the cheap labor market wherever that may be?
Don

Here's a thread on MyLargeScale.com's forums on someone's project to building a 1:32 scale Schnabel car as a CAD model and then 3D-printing the body parts to assemble into a completed car. There is a photo on the third page of the modeler's 3D printer, a modified RepRap kit.

Photos (really big ones) start on the second page, and the entire body (minus trucks) has taken shape by the fourth page.

It's a      r e a l l y  b i g  m o d e l .

---PCJ

Last edited by RailRide

3D printer technology is advancing at a rapid rate and the cost of the printers will go down as they sell more volume.

I think the only roadblock would be the software needed to produce anything from scratch.  I would venture that a lot of people don't have the necessary CAD skils to be able to design an object.  The key is 3rd party applications that make the CAD side of things much easier.  One other issue is being able to scan/design larger items that the printer can handle.  While those printers are currently available the cost is prohibitive for most.

I have no doubt these issues will be resolved fairly quickly and 3D printing will  go mainstream in the near futire

Ed

While 3D printing is a very interesting technology for low volume products, I doubt it'll ever be cost effective for quantity production, at least in most of our lifetimes.  As mentioned, it's great for rapid prototyping, a job it's ideally suited for.

Being able to create parts is a ways down the road, at least metal ones.  The price of those printers is pretty steep.  I see this as a great way to create small plastic models.  Anything large runs up the cost and time to create it.

I actually designed, scaled, and 3D printed an HO scale box car for an engineering project. It actually turned out very well, but it takes an extraordinary amount of time to print. I had a total run time of about 16 hours on the printer to make one box car. Some of the filler plastic did not run properly so I also had to re run it several times. Cool for persons with CAD or Solid works knowledge, who want to design their own items. Just not very efficient.

I have heard, but have not yet seen, that some Z and N scale folks are already printing custom cars. Now I want the infamous OR&W boxcar with the "Leaky Roof" placard. ( yes, they actually painted and nailed on a sign that said the roof leaked, rather than fixing it.)

As I've said before, the technology is leaping ahead in ways it's hard to foresee. The latest R&D Magazine newsletter showcased a printer that works only with self-hardening materials. (Chocolate, for goodness' sake.) The Israelis are working on multi-material printing with the aim of printing circuit boards and batteries in a single step. Human organs are already in print and the first few have been installed, and a prosthetic hand with muscle-sensitive pickups so the user can actually move it by thinking at it costs $50 to print. Just remember how slow, loud, expensive and lacking in quality the old nine-pin ribbon printers were, and how soon the inkjet takeover happened.

--Becky

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.