Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Moonman:

It finished up nicely! Are those Dan's Drumheads in the tunnel portals? Nice touch!

That's right Moonman I've become a big Fan of Dan's Drumheads. He provided the drumhead and red LED on the rear of the observation car and the four Standard gauge drumheads embedded in the keystone of tunnel portals.

Another illumination feature I found at Home Depot are the projecting kaleidoscope spotlights placed down at the bottom of the table to create the northern lights effect reflecting off the mountain snow.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lig...ight-88579/205080892

Matthew,

Thank you for the tip on the light at HD. I picked one up Thursday. I have one space where my layout can't touch the wall because of an obstruction a little further along.

I put the spike in a piece of stray foam and placed it on the floor shining on to the wall just below the table. The top part of the lighting effect shines up on the wall shimmering or waving like the Aurora Borealis. It looks great!

Matthew,

Thank you for the tip on the light at HD. I picked one up Thursday. I have one space where my layout can't touch the wall because of an obstruction a little further along.

I put the spike in a piece of stray foam and placed it on the floor shining on to the wall just below the table. The top part of the lighting effect shines up on the wall shimmering or waving like the Aurora Borealis. It looks great!

That's great Moonman, I'm glad it worked out for you. Since I was pointing them straight up, I just cut a hole in the bottom of the table and dropped the lights right in without the bracket. They're LEDs and don't produce any heat so there isn't any risk of meltdown or fire.

Last edited by Matthew B.

I found at close range the kaleidoscope effect is too dense. At a longer distance, they become more of a shimmering line. I guess because it was designed to light up the house.

I almost got just a green, as many times, the lights appear that color in Alaska.

Still, it's a nice light at a decent price for effects no matter how you use it.

CARIBOU!

caribou-northern-lights_104_600x450

Attachments

Images (1)
  • caribou-northern-lights_104_600x450
Originally Posted by towdog:

I suggest those of you who are thinking about getting these lights - DON'T DELAY, DO IT NOW!!!
I'm in a Philadelphia suburb and I had to go to FIVE different Home Depots today before I found any of the colors they came in which were available in stock and at that fifth store I was was fortunate to locate the last multicolor and next to the last green one they had in stock The othewr colors were sold out.) Two different store managers said each store received only one carton of each color (I believe there are 8 to a carton) and that was the ONLY shipment of Chrtistmas items Home Depot will be receiving this season.
(At another store an assistant manager believed they sold quickly when some customers realized they were the same lights home shopping network QVC was selling for $39.95 plus shipping.

Thanks for the tip about these lights.  I think the all blue or all white one could be used to mimic snow falling too.  It would be fun to play around with draping the light with something translucent to maybe tame it down a bit for more subtle effects.  I may have to get some of these.  Thanks.

Forgot to finish up this thread with the completed display as it was enjoyed by the family. Plus a couple videos demonstrating the versatility of the setup

At the end of the Season decided to test the pulling power of the Polar Express. Was able to pull 12 coaches around the display without any issues. Had to add about 6.6 oz of weight to teach of the first two coaches to prevent string lining.

LionChief + NYC Hudson pulling 8 Polar Express coaches & RailKing Imperial, Hiawatha controlled with Remote Commander. Power from a Z1000 brick. They do play well together.

matthew,

That's looks cool. Really busy. 3 trains at once.

Thanks Carl. Unfortunately the night before we took down the Christmas Trees one of our Projection Kaleidoscope spotlights went kaput. Which was even more disappointing when we discovered the effect it had unfiltered shining directly onto the Polar Express

Originally Posted by Gilly@N&W:

That is a really cool layout. Now for the $64 question. Where does this go until next Christmas?

Gilly

That's a good question Gilly. Traditionally our Christmas display is converted into the year round display and moved to the foot of my bed upstairs. That wasn't the intention this year. We were just going to pack the Christmas display away and use it again next year, as I wasn't quite finished enjoying last year's. I figured I could still add three more loops to last years display.

I've got a week before I have to make a decision. I'm thinking about knocking the top two tiers off the current year round display and putting the double spiral on top of it. There would still be just enough space to  allow the Beacon Towers to sit at the top of the display.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.