Skip to main content

I have been using Lionel post-war 072 switches in a couple of diverging route locations.  They are the 5165--5166 variety.  My wife wants me to remove them and forget having the diverging routes.   I have heard from my "House of Trains" owner-buddy "Ray" that the Lionel Pre-war 072-711 switches are better.  Maybe that's why they are more expensive.  The problem with the post-war 5165--5166 variety is that they are more nit-picky.  Some items run great--  some Trolleys derail-- some locomotives pick the points-- some locomotives do a little "hop" over the center of the switch and may or may not derail.  I'm tired of all of it !!     SO then--- are the 711's the BEST or is there a better manufacturer that will "not let you down" ??

Looking forward to your gracious comments and advice !!

KEN SHATTOCK  (KRK)

Federal Way, WA.

Member,  LCCA

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ken,

Although there are a few threads than relate this question, I'll try to save you the time of searching. First, Lionel didn't produce O72 switches in the post war period of 1945 thru 1969  

The switches you're using are modern Lionel O72 switches, however, there are different versions of them. Those produced in the 1980's through Lionel's manufacturing departure to China are pretty good and do not have the issues you describe. Those issues are usually associated with the China production group. 

The 711 switches are from the Lionel prewar era and are the best of the bunch. If memory serves me, there are two versions, the early version did not have the non-derailing and constant voltage features, the later version did. Since the base is cast metal they do occasionally warp and once warped and depending on the amount of warping the switch motor contacts may not make contact and the switch may not function. When you think of it, the cost of a functioning and restored pair of them is about the same as a pair of new modern O72 switches. 

Hope this helps and I'm sure if I've left something out or am not correct someone will chime in. 

The only other O72 switch I'm familiar with are K-line and they are a reliable switch without the issues of the China Lionel. But the rollers of some engines will drop into the space between the center rail on the "frog" section and the center rail when backing into the diverging route.  

Altnough I have no experience with Ross, I hear nothing but good things about them.

Mike

Last edited by ezmike

Ross makes a very fine switch, however not every train item will work with any given switch, there are glitches here and there no matter what. Ross is very knowledgeable about switches and all of their products. They also offer excellent customer service. The owner sometimes even answers the phone. I would call them and ask about the equipment you have, the problems you are having and see what they recommend. I am sure they will be able to help you and recommend something for your specific situation and you would get the proper items for your application.

I would say to go to the Ross Custom switches website and see what they have in 072 switches. I am using Ross Custom switches in 042 and so far like them the best. You may pay more but you are getting a quality switch.

Gargraves switches tend to physically wear out after 7 years or more.

Some of the current Lionel switches(from 1995) I have bought have been disasters!! The 6-23010 series have totally acted up on me. 

Have no knowledge of the Fastrack switches other then they are made by Lionel, I never used one with any of my trains.

Lee Fritz

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.