Skip to main content

I am building a rather large (30X60), double decked layout.  I am aware of the idea of the field plane.  It has been suggested that I could also use 2 base units on one layout to add signal.  Not only have I not heard of this, I cannot find any web references to trying it.  

Can it be done?

Might it actually help? (I do have several units)

Thanks,

Troy

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Never, never connect more than one TMCC or Legacy base to the layout ground rails.  It may work but strange things happen.  Your 30x60 should be fine with a single base.  The RF signal from the base is broadcast in two paths: through the track ground rails, and through house wiring and copper pipes (The ground plane).   Review Dale Manquen's TMCC Signal Basics article as a reference.

Loss of signal will probably be the result of poor ground plane and there are many threads in this forum on resolving ground plane issues.  Some things I have learned helping to resolve TMCC signal issues on multi-level layouts:

1.  Make sure the TMCC output is connected to each loop's ground rails.
2.  Isolate all metal bridges and accessories from the ground rails.
3.  Run a ground plane on the underside of all upper levels that overlay lower level tracks.  Aluminum and copper tape are your friends here.  Metal bridges (isolated from rails) are connected to the ground plane.
4.  Frequently test the isolation of track rails from the ground plane.  A single track screw or accessory connection can destroy the isolation.

Solve ground plane issues before adding a signal booster.

Just a couple...

Instead of “ground plane” you might use “ground wire antenna” to refer to the antenna with the airborne signal. It’s the ground wire in your house wiring. It’s not a ground plane. Dale M tried to crusade against the use of the words “ground plane”, but it was too catchy a phrase and it’s persisted. I mention this in his memory 🤓.

And, you only need a thin wire over where the engine runs, not foil, etc. When it’s added to the layout because a track above is shielding the engine below from the airborne signal,  it’s best to have it as far from  track running above as possible.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.