Skip to main content

Looks like I am going to be in the garage this year. We are doing some home renovation and I lost the living room. I still have some work to go on the table. It is 6 x 12, 32" tall. The kids are excited and my wife not so much. I should move pretty fast this year as I accumulated lots of track and scenery over the last year and a half.

2012 layout starting by tedmackel, on Flickr

The plan is to have a loop around the perimeter of the table and I am trying to figure out how to get a modified figure 8 in there and cover 2/3rds over the base layer with a mountain and tunnels. The one end is extended a foot and will be a yard area. Top of the mountain will be a town with another train and Superstreets.

Last edited by TMack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is a slight modification of a fast track layout I had started but never finished. This plan uses atlas track utilizing 054 and 045 radius track with 054 turnouts. The green track is elevated at 6 inches and the blue track is the grade. All grades are slightly under 5%. It may give you an idea for your modified figure 8.

Regards,

Attachments

metjetrailfan,

Thanks. The hard part with younger children is that they have no understanding of speed so the grades will have to wait till we get command control. That is a very nice plan you have designed. We go temporary every year. I should have the bulk of it up before the Superbowl and then will run till May this year. Then it will be dismantled and a new design for next year. We add parts each year.
Thanks, last year it was on 5 gallon paint buckets. If it was more permanent I think I would change out the legs for something a little more stiff. I have the plywood down and have been configuring the track to see how I am going to work it out. I don't have track planing software so it been interesting working with my box of track. I will put the second level up this week and hopefully have settled on the plan. My budget is pretty tight this year so I am not sure if I will pick up the 048s. I need a few other items.
Thanks Dave,

It's been interesting so far, I have no track software so I am creating as I go. I have a general concept. Tonight while I was working I think I found a place for a siding - I ran out of track so I will need to make a run to the LHS for more. I have three left 036 switches I have not used yet. As of now I have two loops on the first level with the yard connected to the out loop. One loop on the upper with a Superstreets loop. I plan to put an elevated trolley line up there too. The kids are excited. I knock off a little each night and progress has been good.

2012 Fastrack Layout 12 by tedmackel, on Flickr

2012 Fastrack Layout 11 by tedmackel, on Flickr
Nickaix,

Thanks, I really dont have a spot to go with something more permanent. This one I am going to keep up till June. I have a daughter away at college and she wants to see it when she comes home. She saw the benchwork going up just before going back.

What is becoming apparent is after last year and now even while I am constructing this one, it's not big enough.Big Grin

So this year I am going to learn a bunch, accumulate more track and scenery and then next year go a little bigger and maybe really dive into the L-girder system and then once I get that down and I have a little more room at the house then go permanent. I think these temporary layouts are going to let me cut my teeth for that dream layout some time down the road.
TMack,

That looks great, and especially for the kids! They'll surely enjoy it.

The only thing that would be a concern is the metal foil IF you ever decided to run TMCC or Legacy equipment. I am new with those systems so I really shouldn't speak, but I have read about interference problems with metal objects around the trains. But as I said, if you run only conventional, you should be fine.

Good work!

Alex
Alex,

Thanks, Yeah the foil was one of those things that said "easy to make tunnel liners", but probably not the greatest idea with Trains. Since Im only conventional and will not have command control this year, I think I will be okay.

This layout will be torn down in June. Next year's layout - I hope to have Legacy as I really cant do grade changes with conventional and kids, they run the locos to fast. We bring over other kids and many times its a first exposure to trains and a larger layout - so keeping the trains on the table can be an issue. Smile

Ted
Update: Casting rocks .... I'll be doing that for a few nights. I had a box of Plaster of Paris and a Box of Fix All. They worked fine, but my 20 minute drywall compound beats them both. I mix the 20 min (hot mud) drywall compound almost as dry and thick as Bisquick biscuits. Spray the molds with wet water, slather the mix in like peanut butter and I can pop the castings in 40-50 minutes.

2012 Fastrack Layout 26 by tedmackel, on Flickr

2012 Fastrack Layout 24 by tedmackel, on Flickr
Working on my last tunnel opening.

2012 Fastrack Layout 25 by tedmackel, on Flickr

I put the upper loop in and pretty much settled on how it would go.

2012 Fastrack Layout 23 by tedmackel, on Flickr

I am going to build a bridge to support that log span of track that comes out over the tunnel to the first trestle, then I can finish up with my hardshell.
Hard to believe that this is a temporary layout! Great to see your kids actually working on it. Our grand daughter is just a little too young to help but loves to"play trains" especially with the saw mill. I'm hoping to find more operational accessories at a good price to make it fun for her.

Looks Great!

Mikki

Tmack:  Layout is looking good.  Are you just using Lionel transformers and running separate track for each train?  Do you have a pic of the layout desgin? 

Our 4 x 8 layout that started at Christmas continues to grow, I think it is 12 x 8 now.  We have been offline for 2 weeks trying to figure out how to run two different tracks, put in a mountain, and wire the town!  Need more room!!!!  My son is growing impatient because he can't run the trains! 

I roughed out the lower level.  I dont have track planning software.  I will try to get the upper level plan drawn out later today.

Fastrack 2012 Level One

I use these toggle switched to control the blocks so each of the yard lines will be blocked on separate switches so I can park an engine on either yard line.  Alos I am going to use about 8-10 toggles for lighting and accessories.  Kids love turning everything on and off so more switches is even better.  I have 3 CW-80s, 1 TW, and 1 LW.  I am going to pick up one more CW-80 maybe two and get rid of the older transformers.

toggle

For Accessories I have The Log Loader, Coal Loader and Milk Car.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Fastrack 2012 Level One
  • toggle
Originally Posted by Santa Fe VA:

Thanks for showing us your layout sketch. 

Can you walk me through how you "blocked" off using the toggles? 

You can email me if you don't want to sidetrack the forum thread.

There are two off the shelf options for Fastrack.  The 5 inch which is pricey and the 1 3/8 piece which is in the video below.

If you are going to block a yard line like on my layout.  Put the block section right after the turnout.  Remove the jumper on the center rail as shown in the video.

Then run the center rail power from the yard line (anywhere after the block section) to a toggle switch and then from the toggle switch to the transformer.

Fastrack Siding Blocking

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Fastrack Siding Blocking

Santa Fe VA:

Here are pictures of my Yard.  The red circles are where I put the block sections and the yellow circles are where I ran a new center rail feeder to the toggle switch, then from the toggle switch to power coming out of the transformer.

Blocking Fastrack 2

I did not draw a circle around it but you will notice the 5" block section on the track just below the red circle, you can see the split in the center rail.

Blocking Fastrack

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Blocking Fastrack 2
  • Blocking Fastrack

Here is an update.  I have been working all kinds of stuff that does not show so well in pictures, but I am finally starting the city and should start making some decent progress over the next few weeks. Because I am building a backdrop for the upper level, I got bogged down in making the flats.  I will need to make Approx 3 more or so, but I'll work on that later.

2012 Fastrack Layout 71

I'll put a platform station in the empty foreground spot

2012 Fastrack Layout 72

Still lots of scenery opportunities

2012 Fastrack Layout 73

2012 Fastrack Layout 70

2012 Fastrack Layout 74

2012 Fastrack Layout 75

Attachments

Images (6)
  • 2012 Fastrack Layout 71
  • 2012 Fastrack Layout 72
  • 2012 Fastrack Layout 73
  • 2012 Fastrack Layout 70
  • 2012 Fastrack Layout 74
  • 2012 Fastrack Layout 75
I really like this Atlas layout, I am new tot he forum and to o gauge trains. i just built a 6 x 12 board, do you have a material list for this layout so i dont waste anymore trying to make mine work? lol

Originally Posted by metjetnrailfan:
oops

I thought I also posted the JPEG of the layout as well...... you could always modify the layout to O36 curves if you wish.

Regards,

Carl, the biggest problem I had with this layout originally is that I had a few rules this time around. 

1.  There has to be lost of movement all over the place.  I have kids,  this generation of kids need complexity to this stuff or they get bored fast.

2.  Scenery - Make lots of scenery.

3. Lionel operating accessories.  The kids love the coal loader and I added a log loader.  If I can fix my Milk car that will be operational too.

It is two basic loops on the lower level.  The outside Loop connects to a two line yard.  Each line on the yard is blocked to a toggle switch.

The City Level is one loop that bridges out over the lower level. This level also has a loop of Super Streets for the city.

Then there is an elevated bump and go trolley.

I will try to draw it out later,  There is a hand drawing above probably 10 posts back.  I just did it by laying out the track.  I had all the track and I have plenty of switches.  I don't have software.  The city level train loop probably cannot fit with curves bigger than 036.

Thx so much for the advise, i am going to get some new track and work on it. I was also interested in getting more details on the plan that metjettrainfan posted for the atlas track layout. I am hoping he has some more details, otherwise i will have to just play trial and error. thx again, your layout is coming out great.

Originally Posted by TMack:

Carl, the biggest problem I had with this layout originally is that I had a few rules this time around. 

1.  There has to be lost of movement all over the place.  I have kids,  this generation of kids need complexity to this stuff or they get bored fast.

2.  Scenery - Make lots of scenery.

3. Lionel operating accessories.  The kids love the coal loader and I added a log loader.  If I can fix my Milk car that will be operational too.

It is two basic loops on the lower level.  The outside Loop connects to a two line yard.  Each line on the yard is blocked to a toggle switch.

The City Level is one loop that bridges out over the lower level. This level also has a loop of Super Streets for the city.

Then there is an elevated bump and go trolley.

I will try to draw it out later,  There is a hand drawing above probably 10 posts back.  I just did it by laying out the track.  I had all the track and I have plenty of switches.  I don't have software.  The city level train loop probably cannot fit with curves bigger than 036.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.