Skip to main content

I purchased a new 2014 Vision line Berkshire. This loco has the correct bearings in the pilot truck. I am having trouble with the pilot truck derailing on any size curve even my 072 curves. None of my other Legacy locos, 4-8-4 Northern, 2-6-6-2 Mallet, 2-6-6-6 Allegheny, 2-8-8-2 Y-2, and my 4-8-8-4 Big Boy have no problems with the curves. Only the Berkshire.

Careful observation of the loco in slow motion shows the pilot truck beginning to climb the rail at various locations on the curves. Never the same position or location on any of the curves. It is a random occurrence. It appears that the pilot truck is 'binding" at the point where the truck swivels and appears to contact the steam chest.

The problem happens about 95% of the time in forward motion but on occasion in reverse as well. In the forward motion the truck pushes back on the elongated rear swivel pin but on the reverse the truck is pulling the truck back from the swivel pin.

The problem exists in any forward direction the loco is moving, East to West or West to East and always on the right side (engineer side) of the loco.

I even remove the copper contact strip on the pilot to no avail.

Suggestions or comments before I return this loco to Lionel?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wes,

Check to make sure the front pivot bracket on the pilot truck (the one that keeps the pilot from swiveling out from under the locomotive). Make sure it is properly seated under the screw that holds it to the frame. It is possible that that bracket is pinched between the scre wand the frame, preventing it from pivoting properly.

Mike

FWIW, I'd try what Mike says.

I have the first Legacy NKP Berk and have zero derailing issues....and I run it through a Ross Double Crossover, Ross #11 Switches, 0-72 switches, 0-72 and 0-64 Curves.

I had to replace the front pilot as it was damaged in transit but it's a super-simple piece to remove/reinstall.  My gut tells me that Mike's suggestion is the one that will work.

had a similar problem, the ground wire that is attached to the front pilot truck if screwed on  facing the wrong direction will hit the truck and stop it from turning. this just happened to a new big boy at the club. loosened the screw holding the wire and faced it the opposite way.  no more problems.

Gentlemen, I haven't responded before now due to health problems. I checked what Mike, John, Rick and Peter wrote. I could find no issue with the first three responses. Everything checked out.

Peter I want to try your suggestion. When you removed the pilot truck, where did you place the washers? Was it on the tension spring and if so was it on the top end, the larger diameter of the spring on was it below on the short diameter of the spring nearest the frame?

I really appreciate all the responses and wish I could have answered before now. So Peter, I want to try your approach but want to do it correctly.

Thank you.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.