Skip to main content

I have a Lionel 6-18598 RS11 with TMCC odyssey speed control.  2 minor problems;

1. While setting on a siding and not addressed by TMCC it will occasionally move an inch or two. (backward)

2. when you start it up as you increase the throttle it starts fast for a few inches and the settles in at the desired speed. This appears to be only when initially started. If I turn the throttle down to stop and then turn the throttle up everything works fine.  Thanks; Don

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't know about the first issue, never had one do that.

I've seen the second issue with Odyssey 1 locomotives when first powered on.  The first movement after applying track power results in a little jump, and then they run fine.  You'll see many references to that issue here for the older Odyssey locomotives.  Curious, as I never saw that engine you have do that.  Not all Odyssey engines have the jump, but many do.

The track had been powered up and I was running another loco. The RS11 was on a powered track that is not part of the main loop. I had never addressed the RS11.  When I have addressed it I do a shut down. It happened once this way also. I have seen it do it 3 times total. It only moves an inch or so.

The track it sets on is a connection of two switches on opposite sides of the loop.

It is not a problem unless it moves into the switch and interferes with the other loco.

I can put some insulated pins in and power down that part when not using but I thought I would check here 1st.

I have parked 2 other locos in the same spot while running and they did not move.

Don

CAB-1 or CAB-2 for control?  

The original Odyssey engines had issues on startup nicknamed Ody-Lurch.  The CAB-1 can't generate TMCC speed steps and uses relative PowerMaster steps.  These are translated internally by a "speed step curve" on the board.  Some engines do better than others at "translating".  

If you are using a CAB-2 make sure the engine is programmed to run in TMCC mode and not CAB-1.

"I never tried it in relative step mode, which is all that the CAB1 is capable of generating."

It's pretty bad.  The S-2 electric ran better in conventional with Odyssey engaged under CAB-1 through a TPC than it ever did in command.  Once  I got the CAB-2/Legacy I was able to run the engine in command mode with Odyssey engaged.  Difference was night and day.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.