Skip to main content

In his review, Eric Siegal/EricsTrains strongly encouraged users NOT to use anything less than 0-72.

 

If you look at several of the YouTube videos of the Big Boy running, I don't see how it can possibly run on 0-60.  Truthfully, 0-120ish (double 0-60) is still too tight for my taste.

 

And when it comes to anything UP related, accept Hot Water's words as gospel!!

Here is the BB sitting on O54 track.

 

 

IMG_1488

I was able to push it back and forth on it and it took it.  The tender on the other hand felt like it would climb out.  If it had any blind wheels, it might of made it fine.  As for the close coupling, I don't know if it'd of taken it.  I don't have anything in between O72 and O54.  It would not go on O48 so I didn't even try placing it on O36.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1488
Originally Posted by sinclair:

Here is the BB sitting on O54 track.

 

 

IMG_1488

I was able to push it back and forth on it and it took it.  The tender on the other hand felt like it would climb out.  If it had any blind wheels, it might of made it fine.  As for the close coupling, I don't know if it'd of taken it.  I don't have anything in between O72 and O54.  It would not go on O48 so I didn't even try placing it on O36.

Ouch!

Why you guys continually try to operate locomotives on tighter curves than shown in the catalog is beyond me. It's the minimum diameter (3R language) to keep the locomotive and tender from derailing.

 

Not trying to sound like a j..k. It also is a big surprise when it derails and won't operate on tight curves...HMMM...

 

There's 3 easy options:

 

1. Don't buy it if you don't have the minimum curve required.

2. Install the curves if you don't have the minimum diameter required.

3. Buy it and display.

 

"But, I don't have the room!" is the next post. Reality is harsh-Refer to #1 above.

 

Not trying to sound like an ###, so please don't take it personal. Black and white to me; you have the minimum curves or you don't: If you don't, then run smaller steamers.

 

Edited per J Daddy's and Laidoffsick's suggestions below. Thanks

 

 

Last edited by 86TA355SR
The minimum curve's that are listed, are NOT based on  boiler overhang... they are minimums that the engine/tender needs to stay on the track without derailing. Looks has nothing to do with it. Overhang is a matter of taste and personal opinion.
Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by Laidoffsick:
The minimum curve's that are listed, are NOT based on  boiler overhang... they are minimums that the engine/tender needs to stay on the track without derailing. Looks has nothing to do with it. Overhang is a matter of taste and personal opinion.


EXACTLY!  Thanks for clarifying it, I only alluded to it in my post after rereading it.  Corrected above.

Last edited by 86TA355SR

I'll have a loop of O72 just to run it on, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't play with my toys and see if it can go smaller.  I do that with all my locomotives.  My K-Line Big Boy is rated at O31 but it will run O27.  I have a MTH DL-109 rated at O42 and it runs O36.  The MTH PRR T-1 rated at O72 ran on my O48 loop, it didn't like it, but it did it.  Will I run any of them regularly on the smaller curves, doubt it, but it's nice to know what they can take for the future since you can never know what's going to happen.

When the vendors say 072 or 054 etc. they have tested many complex turnouts and radius combinations and select the radius that does not present issues.  In several cases on my simple layout, my engines run on a smaller radius than advertised. In one instance, the coupler wire pulled out and the coupler now does not open; however, it does not effect my layout operation.

Originally Posted by winrose46:

When the vendors say 072 or 054 etc. they have tested many complex turnouts and radius combinations and select the radius that does not present issues.  In several cases on my simple layout, my engines run on a smaller radius than advertised. In one instance, the coupler wire pulled out and the coupler now does not open; however, it does not effect my layout operation.

This is true for all the major vendors. They rate an engine at the smallest radius they sell that it will run through a set of switches and S curves on.

This does not rule out a slightly smaller radius made by someone else that it will run on, but it gives you a point to go by.

It probably will not run on anything near the next tighter curve the engine vendor sells or they would have tweaked it to get that rating.

The only Sure way to know is to get someone that owns one to try it.

I expect getting someone to risk a New $2000 VL Big Boy is going to be a hard sell.

 

Bottom line Frank; Good Luck. O-60 is a lot tighter than O-72

I just pushed the tender through some Fastrack O60 curves, it didn't actually jump the track, but it looked like it wanted to climb, and the effort to roll went way up over the O72 curves.  I have a hard time imagining that if it were running on an O60 loop that I wouldn't be dealing with regular derailments. 

 

My quick analysis is they knew what they were talking about with the O72 limitation.

 

Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×