Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I remember attending an outdoor train show held on the grounds of the Horseshoe Curve (lower level, of couse) back in the late 1980's.  It was a nice little show on a beautiful summer day with some real train action up on the hill!  I believe that was before they installed the incline so it was a tough walk to the top.

Bill

WftTrains,

My friends and I attended that show. When we finished looking at the items for sale we went to Duncansville and had breakfast at Joe Panero's restaurant. At one time Mr. Panero was a very good customer of ours. Back in the seventies I would attend and look for Flyer. In the eighties I set up and sold MPC. After the eighties, I stopped playing shows. I would still attend but only to say hello and can you lend me a couple dollars to buy gas to get home. I can remember attending this show at the following locations.

Geeseytown Fire Hall

Railroad Museum

East Freedom Fire Hall

Altoona Armory

Pinecroft Fire Hall

Altoona Convention Center

I always loved this show because the people that attended it were very friendly.

Attachments

Last edited by jim sutter

I did not attend the show but had some friends that did and they said there was a lot of HO and not a lot of action for the buyer or the seller.  My one friend did find a 80s Lionel Alton Limited set for around $250, engine and cars.   

I think the show being on Palm Sunday hurt attendance. 

Originally Posted by pennsydave:

I did not attend the show but had some friends that did and they said there was a lot of HO and not a lot of action for the buyer or the seller.  My one friend did find a 80s Lionel Alton Limited set for around $250, engine and cars.   

I think the show being on Palm Sunday hurt attendance. 

Your friend is right.  I was there, and for me, it wasn't worth getting up early.  Much less 3-rail than usual, both PW and 3rs.  I ended up getting some GG1 insulators and a couple of books on Toronto streetcars (I used to live in Toronto).  Few 3rs locomotives, and the ones that did appear weren't anything I was looking for.

Mind you, spring shows are as a rule less interesting than their fall equivalents, in my experience.  I will be back for the fall show in October.  Hopefully, it won't be such a disappointment.

Palm Sunday hurting attendance?  Well, the show was originally scheduled for the 15th of March on their website.  I don't know why it was moved; seems to me it would have been better in mid-April.

Originally Posted by jim sutter:

WftTrains,

My friends and I attended that show. When we finished looking at the items for sale we went to Duncansville and had breakfast at Joe Panero's restaurant. At one time Mr. Panero was a very good customer of ours. Back in the seventies I would attend and look for Flyer. In the eighties I set up and sold MPC. After the eighties, I stopped playing shows. I would still attend but only to say hello and can you lend me a couple dollars to buy gas to get home. I can remember attending this show at the following locations.

Geeseytown Fire Hall

Railroad Museum

East Freedom Fire Hall

Altoona Armory

Pinecroft Fire Hall

Altoona Convention Center

I always loved this show because the people that attended it were very friendly.

Hi Jimmy,

I might have bought something from you that day.  But I didn't know you then as that was before you became famous thanks to the OGR Forum and the Internet! 

I do remember buying some Plasticville from a guy from Ebensburg who had several tables full of Plasticville. 

Bill

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.