Skip to main content

Now through November 30, 2015, get a FREE 9-Pack of 5-1/2” trees when you purchase a flatcar with tractor! That’s a $9.99 value! Plus, there’s no limit!

279-3094 Trees

Choose from three unique flatcars with tractor loads including Pennsylvania (279-2666), Wisconsin Central (279-2667) and BNSF (279-2668). Each tractor and flatcar comes complete with with railroad logos.

279-2666-2668 Tractors

IMPORTANT: Add the flatcar(s) and trees you wish to buy to your online shopping cart. Just remember to add (1) 9-pack of trees (SKU# 279-3094) for every flatcar with tractor (SKU# 279-2666, 2667, 2668). Discount will be applied in your cart.

Click here to see more!

In case you missed it, this week’s email is attached below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Last edited by Menards
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Mark - The Menards Train Guy        I tried to place an order.........

Do I need the code at check out, see two screen shots below.

The first screenshot ask for code and the second says it does not work.

Lost at the Train Station........ 

Thanks - Gary - Cheers from The Detroit and Mackinac Railway

Click screenshot to enlarge

MENARDS Do I need this code flatcar & trees

MENARDS Trees & Flat Car Deal

Attachments

Images (2)
  • MENARDS Do I need this code flatcar & trees
  • MENARDS Trees & Flat Car Deal
Originally Posted by trainroomgary:

Hi Gary,

Nope, no code necessary. The number in parenthesis is the item number. Just make sure to add both the trees and flatcar(s) with tractor to your shopping cart and the discount will be applied in your cart.

Free Trees

I hope this helps!

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Free Trees
Originally Posted by Menards:
Originally Posted by trainroomgary:

Hi Gary,

Nope, no code necessary. The number in parenthesis is the item number. Just make sure to add both the trees and flatcar(s) with tractor to your shopping cart and the discount will be applied in your cart.

I hope this helps!

Hi Mark - Thanks for the tip.......

No longer lost at the station......

Gary

• Cheers from The Detroit & Mackinac Railway, “ A Toy Train Layout” 

I like these stock MENARDS Trees.

A old trick is to spray them with hair spray and then sprinkle on Scenic Express, Flock & Turf / Foams and Ground Textures. If you have their large catalog see the fold out page between pages 66 & 67.

This will take away the look alike issue with stock trees.

Gary 

Cheers from The

DETROIT AND MACKINAC RAILWAY PASSENGER CAR v3

I ordered the Wisconsin Central Flatcar to go with my Wisconsin Central Boxcar, and Wisconsin is next to Michigan & the D&M Railway. i also use Jewelry Essentials Brand from one of those big box art stores for chains & ropes to hold down the load.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DETROIT AND MACKINAC RAILWAY PASSENGER CAR v3
Originally Posted by Bermuda Ken:

Menards is having a flat car sale November 22 thru December 6.  Flatcars in 4 different road names are $6.99 minus a $2 rebate for a net cost of $4.99 each!!!  The days of the 5 buck car are back!!!

Note that this is in-store only whereas the tree deal is either in-store or on-line. Here is the link to the $4.99 deal:

http://www.menards.com/main/tr...=3632055529184036937

Originally Posted by jim sutter:

RadioRon, I agree.  In the pictures, it looks like they used very thin wire.  Like a thin picture hanging wire. Some small chains would look better.  The purchaser could always replace the wire with chains.

Jim, I think it is that plastic-coated, twist-tie-like wire that is often used to secure toys like Barbie dolls in their display boxes.  I would prefer that they be screwed down like Menards' pick-up truck flatcars.  But that may not be possible as high off the flatcar the bodies of the tractors sit -  compared with the trucks.   

Now through November 30, 2015, get a FREE 9-Pack of 5-1/2” trees when you purchase a flatcar with tractor!

IMPORTANT: Add the flatcar(s) and trees you wish to buy to your online shopping cart.  Thank you, Mark

Mark.... one question: are the die-cast tractors screwed in place to the flatcar like the Menards pick-up on flatcar I recently got?  In the photos above they appear to be attached by a twist-tie.   Thanks, Ron      

Last edited by RadioRon

Now through November 30, 2015, get a FREE 9-Pack of 5-1/2” trees when you purchase a flatcar with tractor! That’s a $9.99 value! Plus, there’s no limit!

279-3094 Trees

Choose from three unique flatcars with tractor loads including Pennsylvania (279-2666), Wisconsin Central (279-2667) and BNSF (279-2668). Each tractor and flatcar comes complete with with railroad logos.

279-2666-2668 Tractors

IMPORTANT: Add the flatcar(s) and trees you wish to buy to your online shopping cart. Just remember to add (1) 9-pack of trees (SKU# 279-3094) for every flatcar with tractor (SKU# 279-2666, 2667, 2668). Discount will be applied in your cart.

Click here to see more!

In case you missed it, this week’s email is attached below. If you want to get these emails in your inbox, click here to sign up!

Thank you,

Mark the Menards Train Guy

Mark,

Took advantage of this offer and ordered a Hobby Shop also.  Very happy with order, although there is a slight problem with the Hobby Shop. My e-mail is in my profile, can you send me an e-mail and I can reply with further details.

Thanks,

Art

Menard's Guy,

Mark, I just ordered a Military Flat Car with US Army Copter, for my Special Forces Train, this will be the 5th Military piece of rolling stock I have purchased from Menard's.  Very nice products sense your Company up graded the trucks on the rolling stock.  Thanks for having a quality product at a reasonable cost, especially the nice Military rolling stock.

PCRR/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad

My MENARDS - Trees, Flatcar with load, came today, via U.S. Mail & Fedex Ground.

Click here: -------------     HERE FOR DETAILS - Scroll up or down

to find my MENARDS

POST. 

Gary - Cheers from The Detroit and Mackinac Railway, A Toy Train Layout

2. What I did on my layout today Dec. 1 2015

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2. What I did on my layout today Dec. 1 2015
Last edited by trainroomgary
Menards posted:
Originally Posted by RadioRon:

MARK:  Are the tractors screwed to the flatcar?  In your photos they appear to be attached by a twist-tie.   Thanks, Ron 

Ron,

You are correct. These are attached with plastic-coated wire.

Thank you Mark.   Was hoping they are screwed down like the pick-ups.  

Even if one has to secure the cars some other way (e.g. Ranger Rick's great idea for using cheap jewelry chain), this is still a heck of a deal.

TIP FOR THOSE GETTING MULTIPLE ITEMS SHIPPED FROM MENARD'S:

I live in VA hence the nearest Menard's to me is in OH. That obviously puts me in the "ship to home" category. If you are ordering multiple items and the exact number you want isn't critical, play with the number and see how it impacts shipping. I wanted to get the Sauerkraut Factory with a three of these flat cars (plus free trees) and was disappointed how much the shipping was. I dropped the number of flat cars from 3 to 2 and the economy shipping went from about $23 to a very reasonable $13. 

trainroomgary posted:

My MENARDS - Trees, Flatcar with load, came today, via U.S. Mail & Fedex Ground...

Gary - Cheers from The Detroit and Mackinac Railway, A Toy Train Layout

2. What I did on my layout today Dec. 1 2015

Gary, and other Forum Members, are you just drilling holes in your layout base to install the trees, and, if so, what type of adhesives or glue do you recommend for the installation?  

Last edited by Dennis GS-4 N & W No. 611
Ranger Rick posted:

Dennis, I drill holes using appropriately sized drill bits that correspond to the diameter of the tree. I use various adhesives...Aleenes Tachy Glue, Elmer's White Glue, or sometimes hot glue.

Rick

Thanks Rick!   

Is the  "White Glue" the "Elmer's All Purpose White Glue"?  The only Elmer's White Glue that I have used in the past was for bonding wood, and that was probably in the Postwar Era!  Then I switched to Elmer's Wood Glue, and that is all that I have used in the Elmer's line, other than the Elmer's school glue with the children.  

In this regard, the bases on the Menard's trees are plastic, and I didn't see plastic as one of the materials listed on the Elmer's All Purpose White Glue labeling.  One of the comments on Amazon about  Aleene's Tacky Glue did say that the glue worked well for bonding plastic to wood, although it took a while for the glue to dry and form the bond.

This layout has 3/4" Homasote over plywood.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Dennis GS-4 N & W No. 611
TexasSP posted:

My got to for trees is super glue/ca glue and an accelerator to instantly harden it.

Thanks TexasSP!  I did a little research on accelerators, and there appear to be quite a few varieties and manufacturers.  Here is one description:

"INSTA-SET in a spray bottle is normally used to cure the CA that flows from joints when parts are pressed together. Applying an additional bead of thick CA along a seam and then curing it with INSTA-SET significantly enhances a joint's strength. For difficult to bond materials, INSTA-SET can be applied to one surface and CA to the opposite surface. When brought together, they will bond instantly. INSTA-SET is formulated with a strawberry scent and activates CA in 6 to 8 seconds without any degrading of the CAs strength, which can occur with many other accelerators. It is compatible with all surfaces, even clear plastic and white foam."

Do you have any recommendations as to an accelerator for this application?

Thanks

The accelerator I use came from Scenic Express originally and it's called zip kick by ZAP.  Looks like they carry their own brand now.  Chemically they should all be the same.  I use loctite super glue gel and put a blob on the bottom of the tree, great thing is you don't have to make a hole in the scenery unless the tree is larger/heavier.  I hold in place with one hand, quick shot of the accelerator, and done.

The accelerator is also great when building structures and using the super glue like a tack weld to hold everything in place for final gluing.

Last edited by TexasSP

Dennis, I have used Elmer's All-Purpose White Glue, Elmer's School Glue, and almost anything in-between. I have also used Gorilla Wood Glue. If the trees have bases, I usually remove those. I also have a lot of home made trees from sedum. I have to drill the holes for these. Here are some of the home made trees from the sedum. The sedum is known as Autumn Joy, its botanical name. Scientific name is Sedum spectabile. Endless supply over the years since it is a perennial.

Rick

IMG_2222IMG_2223IMG_2227

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_2222
  • IMG_2223
  • IMG_2227
Last edited by Ranger Rick

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com