Skip to main content

Finishing up on a 16-unit grain elevator. Other than the dust collectors / surge bin everything is Plastruct plastic. The tall dust collector on the roof of the main building is a HO scale Faller industrial silo. The smaller ones are O scale Bar Mills. The surge bin on the roof of the loading shed is a Walthers HO scale surge bin kitbashed with some Plastruct pieces. The one dust collector on the roof of the ancillary building is custom made from Plastruct tubing, dome and ring insert (I originally built this as a filter for a refinery project but did not use it). The small white vents are from Rix Products.

The one loading shed is called a wagon loader - an older design more prevalent in England than here but still a nice structure to build. It will be use don one side of the elevator for tractor trailer loading.

Joe

16-Unit Grain Elevator [1)

16-Unit Grain Elevator [2)

16-Unit Grain Elevator [3)16-Unit Grain Elevator [4)

16-Unit Grain Elevator [5)

16-Unit Grain Elevator [6)

Attachments

Images (6)
  • 16-Unit Grain Elevator (1)
  • 16-Unit Grain Elevator (2)
  • 16-Unit Grain Elevator (3)
  • 16-Unit Grain Elevator (4)
  • 16-Unit Grain Elevator (5)
  • 16-Unit Grain Elevator (6)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wayne:

I appreciate your comments.

Working 5 hours a day it would take about 2-3 weeks. I tend to work more than one job at a time so as the customer will attest to it took much longer.

Right now the elevator is in paint. I will let the paint cure for a few days then overspray with Dulcote in preparation for decals. I sand all plastic I can get to with 150 grit paper to allow paint adhesion however the surface does not do well wrt decals since they like as smooth a surface as possible. If one applies a decal to the surface as is it dries with dark spots underneath. The dullcote greatly improves the surface but does not totally eliminate the spots.

Joe

Keith:

I need to build with shipping in mind so the main building is in three sections. The silos are glued into groups of four.

I really like what you did with the concrete look on the silos to the right. My silos and buildings are going to look like the white ones on the left but they will be darker with some black showing through. I paint black first then cover with an off white color.

Joe

Painting is done. Next up are window panes and lights. For grain elevators there is not much inside (models that is!) so I usually use vellum for window panes due to its frosted appearance.

WRT the conveyor house roofs I first sprayed flat black then followed up with a textured paint called Wrought Iron to give a tar-like appearance.

16 Unit Grain Silo 001

16 Unit Grain Silo 002

16 Unit Grain Silo 003

16 Unit Grain Silo 008

16 Unit Grain Silo 009

Attachments

Images (10)
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 001
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 002
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 003
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 008
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 009
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 001
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 002
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 003
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 008
  • 16 Unit Grain Silo 009

Keith - thank you

R Nelson - I plan on having the decals added this W/E so will have finished pictures ready to post. In the past I used 2 inch PVC for silos. However the ink had to be cleaned off plus there were always scratches that needed to be sanded out. Though the PVC is a lot less expensive I switched over to Plastruct tubing to make construction easier. I still sand the Plastruct tubing with 250 grit paper to roughen it up a little so it can hold paint better but this is minutes compared to hours with the PVC. The tubing you see in the photos is 2 and 2 1/2 inch diameter.  

I used to make square roof panels for each bank of silos but have now changed over to individual round tops for each silo. 

Joe

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.