Skip to main content

My mother recently did a project for a Research Club that she is a member of.  The topic of her presentation was "Railroad History in Convoy, Ohio"  She found several photographs of a train wreck that took place about a year before I was born.

It was a foggy morning when at 5:35 am on July 5th, 1961, the westbound General/Trailblazer struck a lowboy semi trailer that had bottomed out on the St. Rt. 49 railroad crossing in Convoy.  The trailer was carrying a large punch press.  The driver had left the rig to get help when the train hit it.  The lead E7 locomotive somehow stayed on the tracks, but the two trailing units and seven cars derailed.  None of the cars rolled over, but several were leaning at a sharp angle.  There were eleven injured, but no fatalities.  Singer/Actress Pearl Bailey was one of the passengers.  She reportedly helped comfort the dazed and injured.

One of the derailed cars, an express refer, was full of fresh fish destined for Chicago.  The wrecking crew was trying to give as much of the fish away as they didn't want to have to deal with the stench of rotting fish in the hot July temperatures.  My father and Grandfather, along with many other residents, took coolers to the wreck site.  They took the fish home and froze it.  I recall my grandfather talking about how they ate fish all summer.

I remember my parents and grandparents talking about this wreck.  It was interesting to find out more about what happened and see photos.

Enjoy!

Tom

The remains of the lowboy trailer sans load

Derailed cars looking east

Derailed locomotives.  Lead unit stayed on tracks.

Looking west.  Crews are already working to get rails straightened out.

Last edited by Tom Densel
Original Post

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.