Skip to main content

If you own one can you advise, if you're happy with it and its features...

Product Name: 4-6-2 Torpedo Steam Engine w/Proto
Product Catalog: 1997 Volume 1 - W.V.P.P. Shay
Product Line: RailKing
Product Item Number: 30-1118-1
Delivery Status: Delivered MAR. 1997
Roadname: Pennsylvania
Product Description: Cab No. 3768 4-6-2 Streamlined Pacific of the Pennsylvania RR. Features Die-cast Metal Boiler, Flywheel Can Motor, Proto Smoke, Detailed Cab Interior, With Electronic Whistle or Optional Proto Sound

Does this Proto Sound have chuffing?

Attachments

Images (2)
  • RAIL KING MTH 4-6-2 PENNSYLVANIA 30-1118-1 K-4 TORPEDO
  • RAIL KING MTH 4-6-2 PENNSYLVANIA 30-1118-1 K-4 TORPEDO 1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Last Train Outta Sydney:
Originally Posted by brwebster:

Checked and mine is the identical product number, with proto sound as opposed to just the electronic whistle.

I believe these were notorious for having zinc pest, especially on the cast tender shell.   Check it over carefully.

Bruce

G'day Bruce

Can you elaborate on the zinc pest? 

I'm not sure what this is.. lol

The Zamac used in metal castings can sometimes have impurities that causes the metal to degrade.  It appears as bubbling under the paint and can progress until the casting literally falls apart.  It's been a constant problem with Zamac casting and crops up now and again, usually confined to runs of a particular item.  From what I have learned, MTH offered replacement tender shells for the Torpedo, back when the engine was current. 

Bruce

I have had one since 1997 or 98 and it is one of my favorites.  It looks great pulling the K-Line Fleet of Modernism Passenger cars. 

But it has not been without problems.  MTH replaced the tender cab free of charge as the original succumbed to zinc pest.  I have had to have both boards and the smoke unit replaced over the years plus the chip.  I bought a BCR after those original failures and it now runs fine.  Forum member GGG was able to get an original “Pittsburgh Express” sound chip for me.

HTH,

Bill

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.