Skip to main content

In trains as in medicine, non-invasive procedures are generally preferable.  I hate to pull a loco shell, because with modern electronics, there are so many wires that can get damaged.

Only when all else fails should a someone who doesn't have a lot of experience inside the engine attempt to open the engine and poke around inside.

Of course, there is only one way to get experience.

Well said, GGG.  Self-perceived ability and self-confidence varies considerably. 

Many people doubt their ability, but a little training or advice improves self-confidence.  I look upon the forum as a means, perhaps the only means, of training DCS model train operators to give them enough confidence to tackle some matters, to give them cautions as to what to avoid, and to bail them out if they, in the learning process, make mistakes like we all have made.

Originally Posted by RJR:

Most have no business getting inside their trains.

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more!!

The statement is not incorrect.  But I do note that on the forum, when there is a problem, the fist advice is often to remove the shell and check the wiring or battery, which is the correct advice.  I also note that many posts describing a problem commence:  "I took my DCS loco to my LHS tech and since then...."

RJR,

I didn't mean to offend.  The forum is a great place for learning.  I have certainly learned a lot (still learning) here.  By the time I took the ASC class, I felt pretty knowledgeable about the MTH boards because I was willing to try to fix things.

I have gotten to know which customers I can tell 'Open it up and look for....' and which ones I say 'Bring it in and I will have a look'

And yes, I have also seen some other shops work where the so called 'tech' had no right being in the engine.

I admire anyone who tries!

Dave

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.