Skip to main content

I am just curious if there were calf (cabless) versions of the 44-ton switcher made in the real world.  I tend to doubt there were; apparently small switcher like this were made small to get under an over-45-tons-requires-two-operators rule and I would assume those regs would restrict single operators to one loco only.

Anyway, I have ordered a second 44-tonner and plan to make it into a calf.  I like my NW-2 and calf so much, I thought it would be cool here, too, real world prototype or not.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No GE 44 ton calfs, but a few were built with air throttles so they could MU. Now that you have the sound turned up, could you post a video where we could here the sound. The quote from WBB was confussing as the last time I was at the C and T, many years ago now, the two D-17000 engines from their 44 tonner were sitting out side in the scrap.  However I had since heard that the conversion was unsuccessful. I am woundering if they put the original engines back in the loco.  The D-17000 engine has such a distinctive sound, the locomotive would just not be right if the sound sorce was not from a loco with the D-17000 engine.

Originally Posted by Rusty Traque:
Originally Posted by Lee Willis:

DSCN2462

I see Bachmann screwed up the zebra stripes like they did on their HO version.

Hint: the stripes on the cab (second loco) are supposed to go in the same direction as the frame....

Rusty

Bachman did not do that.  I didn't notice until you pointed it out that I turned the upper body around when I took it off to wire the first one in series.  

Last edited by Lee Willis

DSCN2462

Hint: the stripes on the cab (second loco) are supposed to go in the same direction as the frame....

Rusty

Bachman did not do that.  I didn't notice until you pointed it out that I turned the upper body around when I took it off to wire the first one in series.  

I stand corrected.

Glad to hear Bachmann got it right on the O model.

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty Traque

DSCN2462

Rusty

I stand corrected.

Glad to hear Bachmann got it right on the O model.

Rusty

It's amazing how caught up I got in the thing and didn't notice.  I have to remove the body off the new one (to convert it to series motors, too, so the pair can run together).  I'll be sure to put it together right.  Then the first one will become the calf, I think: I have to remove the body to turn it around anyway before modifying it.  

Lee,

I am really amazed at how you transform items from one configuration to another.  As I read your posts and view your pics, I still often wonder, "How'd he do that?" or "What tools did he use to do that?"

On this next bash, would you consider video of the work itself?  Kind of a step by step how to? 

I'm a crude modeler, and the details and finer points always intrigue me.

Thanks!

Ron

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.