Skip to main content

I am tying to figure out when this trip will pass through Jim Thorpe and when the 2 hour hour stop is scheduled for there. The Lehigh Gorge State Park has a beautiful 26 mile bike trail along the tracks just north of Jim Thorpe on the west side of the Lehigh River for several miles and then the track crosses the bridge to the east side.(Bike trial stays on the west side) There should be some excellent photo areas just north of the rail-trail parking lot. This is an uphill grade so the sounds should be exciting. For those riding this trail, it is usually very quiet surrounded by lots of trees/forest with water falls on the west side of the trail, and just the sound of the rushing water of the Lehigh River on the east side. I have the App on my phone. My guess is 9:30-10:00 am north bound and stop 2-4 pm south bound. When my wife and I want to escape we go ride this trail!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Morning, Rich - We have tickets to ride behind the 765 on the round trip from Scranton to Binghamton, NY & return. Do you know a contact person to ask about time & location for boarding? (I have a confirmation # but nothing else.) Much appreciated!
   Cordially, Dick Kuehnemund 

Originally Posted by OGR Webmaster:

Northbound we will not stop in Jim Thorpe. We will be on the NS tracks on the other side of the river.

We'll stop there on the return leg southbound, and I would guess that would be some time in the 1-2 pm area.

Originally Posted by Robert K:

I have a question. After these runs in western NY this weekend, where does the 765 and train go after this weekend until it goes to Allentown? There are three weeks between now and the Allentown/Bethlehem trips. Is it going to layover somewhere until it heads to Allentown?........  765 and Heritage Lackawanna unit were seen near the tower in Allentown yard at 1:30 AM this morning-8-5-15

We will be riding on the Lehigh Gorge trip out of Allentown.

Rich, will you be engineer on the Sunday trip?

I want to photograph the engine, will the 765 be accessible in Jim Thorpe or anywhere else along the trip? Will we be allowed to open passenger car windows for photographs?

I understand there is no photo run by during the excursion, but would like to suggest that Jim Thorpe would be an excellent place to do a slow run by so all riding can see the 765 in action.

Bob

Watched the 765 pass through Jim Thorpe last night, moving south, at 11:15 pm, from the Jim Thorpe Market parking lot. They had a diesel out in front of it. I was standing on one of the large cement blocks placed along the edge of the parking lot along the track road bed. I could not believe how the weight of that engine, which was about 60 feet from me, shook the block under my feet. Then at that exact moment the engineer of the 765 blew the whistle which near gave me a heart attack. I'm surprised I didn't end up on the ground.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.