Skip to main content

jini5 posted:
Lehigh Valley Railroad posted:

Great!!

Mark, how about a larger release..? Like using your longest flat with a load like this?

Exactly!.......More scale stuff!

Not directed at either poster above, but...

Did anyone notice that this pulpwood flat is not built on the original 10.5" 027 flatcar?

Menard's makes three different flatcars--the 10.5 inch, the 14.5 inch "long" flatcar, and an 11.5 inch car that forms the basis of this pulpwood flat. I had an opportunity to examine one of these (the one with the Air Force tank-container) at the Allentown show and it sure looked a scale 10' wide to me--certainly wider than the 10.5" cars the dealer had on his table. It even had detailed (albeit molded-in) air piping and braking equipment on the underside of the car that the 14.5" one never had.  

It's true--these cars were never offered on their own--only with vehicle, trailer or container loads, which may be why so many people don't realize they exist amongst all the shorter flats sold with loads. I've been hinting that I'd start collecting the 11.5" flats had they also been offered without loads, but I admittedly don't know how much of a market there is for an empty flat that probably would cost more than $19.99, when so many don't recognize that it even exists as a distinct model already.

---PCJ 

I love that Menards is expanding their offerings. I will be waiting for these offerings in a railroad we see locally in Mississippi. We have a ton of pulpwood cars in this part of the country. I need to go snap some pics, because we see a lot of the shorter pulpwood cars, usually old Southern Railroad cars.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.