Skip to main content

"HONGZ" stands for HO scale, N scale, G scale, and Z scale.

Post your non-O scale stuff here!

Just announced by Charles Ro for next April delivery.

$3899.00-- Die cast metal with smoke from stack, whistle and the cylinder valves!!!!  DCC compatible

Received the message in an e-mail today bit couldn't find the announcement on their site

Both freight and passenger engines may be made

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not much detail to be had on this semi streamlined engine.  I guess that it true of all steam engines as they matured.  I guess the Hudson is still the best value and has the most detail  between the Big Boy and the FEF-3.  Still the cylinder smoke is a first for them and very desirable IMHO.  Interesting that they choose to make these in 1:29 scale and not 1:32 like most G gauge engines.

USA Trains has everything in 1:29 and none in 1:32 (they have a few older cars in 1:24). Aristo Craft was all 1:29, so is AML.

Been this way for years... coming from HO and N and Z scales, the somewhat *******ized scale was done for a reason, and the volumes of product sold dwarfs 1:32 so there are positive attributes... i.e. people have indeed voted with their wallets.

Greg

Awesome looking Loco, I own 7 of USA Trains die cast Loco's from Bigboys to Hudsons to GG-1s, 060, They are 2nd to none in Large scale and worth every penny.

You want the best , you just need to save a little longer for it. I'm not a UP Fan but the Gray paint job looks cool and it appears they "may" have gotten Aristo's old Heavy weight molds and tweaked them to a better looking car. I will be ordering some along with the Gray UP just cause it cool looking..

Thanks Charles Roe and USA Trains for supporting G, As I've always said Buy Roe watch them go, Details are the  best in 1/29th hands down.

Greg Elmassian posted:
..., and the volumes of product sold dwarfs 1:32 so there are positive attributes... i.e. people have indeed voted with their wallets.

i figured it had to be something other than using their math skills.  1:29 is still the most horribly mismatched scale to gauge in model trains (>9% error), whereas 1:32 is one of the most accurate (<0.4% error).  as a point of reference the error in O gauge (1:48 scale) is ~6.2%.

bigger isn't always better.
cheers...gary

overlandflyer posted:
Greg Elmassian posted:
..., and the volumes of product sold dwarfs 1:32 so there are positive attributes... i.e. people have indeed voted with their wallets.

i figured it had to be something other than using their math skills.  1:29 is still the most horribly mismatched scale to gauge in model trains (>9% error), whereas 1:32 is one of the most accurate (<0.4% error).  as a point of reference the error in O gauge (1:48 scale) is ~6.2%.

bigger isn't always better.
cheers...gary

I don't think so as that honor would go to LGB making the US type loco's and rolling stock to something like 1:27 scale.

If bigger isn't better than why do you ride around on 1.5" scale 7.5" gauge live steam stuff whereas you are like 1000% out of scale to the loco??

Greg Elmassian posted:

Been this way for years... coming from HO and N and Z scales, the somewhat *******ized scale was done for a reason, and the volumes of product sold dwarfs 1:32 so there are positive attributes... i.e. people have indeed voted with their wallets.

Don't forget that O is subjective, either 1/48, 1/50 or 1/43 depending on what model you got that was marked for 'O' scale.

I was into G for a while before I realized I'd never have the room for a layout and yeah, the ratios are all over the map, probably more so than in any other scale.

Casey Jones2 posted:

... If bigger isn't better than why do you ride around on 1.5" scale 7.5" gauge live steam stuff whereas you are like 1000% out of scale to the loco??

throughout history, from an engineering perspective, locomotives were generally chosen for their suitability to the task.  notwithstanding the economics, 7.x" gauge equipment seems exquisitely suited to a Hobby Park environment.

RLS spring 2016 017
cheers...gary

Attachments

Images (1)
  • RLS spring 2016 017

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.