Skip to main content

Today I reached the 10,000 miles mark (368 hours) on my MTH 30-4182-1E #4449 Southern Pacific 4-8-4 GS-4 2.0 steam engine.  This engine was in MTH’s 2008 Ready-to-Run catalog as part of the 30-4182-1 set that included three passenger cars, track, Z-1000 transformer, DVD and operator’s manual.  I purchased the set on 12/4/2009.  To me, what makes this worth mentioning is the reliability that this starter set engine displayed over the years I had it.  Other than routine maintenance, service items included new traction tires in 2012 and a new smoke unit wick and fan motor in 2019.  Hopefully this is an indicator of the reliability I can expect with the rest of the 48 0-gauge engines with modern electronics that I run on a regular basis.  I have yet to have any major issues with any of them.

Ron

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Honestly the only modern locomotive electronics that up and fail are PS2 5V boards, K-Line Cruise boards, and older EOB boards. Everything else pretty much is trouble free. Most problems people encounter with other electronics are caused by shorts without adequate circuit protection. Barring an incident like that modern locomotives will run and run with just some occasional grease and oil.

Last edited by Lou1985

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.