Skip to main content

Here's a video of a 100 Car Freight moving through the Fiddle yard on the BMHR layout...  Members Mike Rinaldi and Al Maiella made up the train...  It's Mike's Locomotive and Al's cars...  I have not counted the cars but I am sure there's 100... You'll also hear the irrepressible Mike on the audio track... This one was run before the scenery effort started full bore but enjoy it!  Prototypical train length!

Last edited by JimQ
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1. I still owe Al a meatball sub

2.Only 1 loco was used, my DD350. I believe that any Lionel with rubber tires and Odyssey speed control could do it since we ran 90 car trains with a GP38 and an SD70.

Starting very slowly and smoothly is important

3.The real barrier to running long trains is avoiding "stringing or chording" on uphill corners. This is where the high forces on the forwardmost cars cause them to tip inwards on the uphill curves and derail. To avoid this we put the heavier boxcars first with hoppers and tankers following. 

4.no push start was necessary. We ran the train for ~45 minutes and were stopped when a coupler on the 4th boxcar opened on the uphill run.

Thanks to all for your interest.

Mike

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.