Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by superwarp1:

Question,  knowing it's a compound engine, I think I heard it can also run simple articulated ?  How will the Western Maryland run here?  Which is better cost wise, and how fast can she run in either configuration?

In order to start any compound locomotive it has to be started in simple mode because otherwise there is no way to get steam into the low pressure cylinders.  Once the locomotive is moving the engineer can then "shift" the settings to compound mode, where the low pressure cylinders receive steam from the high pressure cylinders.

Except when the locomotive is moving slowly it is necessary to operate it in compound mode because the boiler will not be able to supply enough steam to all four cylinders for any extended period of time.

Stuart

Stuart

Originally Posted by Stuart:
Originally Posted by superwarp1:

Question,  knowing it's a compound engine, I think I heard it can also run simple articulated ?  How will the Western Maryland run here?  Which is better cost wise, and how fast can she run in either configuration?

In order to start any compound locomotive it has to be started in simple mode because otherwise there is no way to get steam into the low pressure cylinders.  Once the locomotive is moving the engineer can then "shift" the settings to compound mode, where the low pressure cylinders receive steam from the high pressure cylinders.

Not really. Pretty much ONLY the N&W Rwy designed and perfected the ability of the Engineer to operate a Y Class (Y6a & Y6b) locomotive in "simple" for an extender period on time at slower speeds.  

Big Jim can give us all the exact details of THAT.

This C&O H-6 is a standard compound, and thus starts with SOME high pressure steam in the front cylinders, and then is a true compound, which the Engineer really gas no control over.

Except when the locomotive is moving slowly it is necessary to operate it in compound mode because the boiler will not be able to supply enough steam to all four cylinders for any extended period of time.

Stuart

Stuart

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.