Skip to main content

It is hard to believe this set is 100 years old!

American Flyer set 1201 from 1921.

The set came with a new end label on its box, which was featured in 1921 only. Note the end label is not showing the 3020, which was not introduced until 1922.

NWL

Last edited by Nation Wide Lines
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think I have any set or train related item I know was made specifically in 1921 but I do have a number of items that could easily date from 1921.

In the U.S., prohibition kicked it into gear on January 17, 1920. Among the many things outlawed by prohibition were advertisements for liquor.  For Bing, this meant their beer reefers could no longer display the word "beer" on the sides of the cars.  As a result, starting in 1920,  Bing censored all of the beer reefers they exported to the U.S.  The car below is one of these cars and given the date of the start of prohibition it could have been made in 1921.

Censored Bing Beer Reefer

Bing_Car_Reefer_Schlitz_Censored

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Bing_Car_Reefer_Schlitz_Censored

I don't think I have any set or train related item I know was made specifically in 1921 but I do have a number of items that could easily date from 1921.

In the U.S., prohibition kicked it into gear on January 17, 1920. Among the many things outlawed by prohibition were advertisements for liquor.  For Bing, this meant their beer reefers could no longer display the word "beer" on the sides of the cars.  As a result, starting in 1920,  Bing censored all of the beer reefers they exported to the U.S.  The car below is one of these cars and given the date of the start of prohibition it could have been made in 1921.

I had no idea that prohibition laws went so far as to "censor" toys!  Amazing!

Does anyone else have some more examples of "censored toys"?

Bob Nelson

They censored more than the word "beer" on that car, as the Schlitz's motto was "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous"  However, I suppose the car would have looked funny as "The XXXXX That Made Milwaukee Famous"

NWL

NWL - I agree.  If the word "beer" was in the text line Bing censored the entire line.  I don't have any pictures of the censored Pabst or Budweiser cars but when you find them what you will see 

Pabst Car

Bing_Car_Reefer_Pabst

for the Pabst car the line "The Beer of Quality" is blanked out

Budweiser Car

Bing_Car_Reefer_Budweiser

and for the Budweiser car the line "King of all bottled beers" is blanked out.

My guess is from a production standpoint it was probably easier to cross out an entire line than try to line up a censor print to target a single word.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Bing_Car_Reefer_Pabst
  • Bing_Car_Reefer_Budweiser

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.