Skip to main content

Hello,

I am working on a 1946 726 for out Xmas layout this year. The loco was running but I decided to give it the usual overhaul as I had no idea when the last time it was serviced was. 

The loco has the large motor, sometimes referred to as the "Gold Seal." My question is this: How close should the armature face be to the brush plate? This thing is close! When I opened it up, a previous owner had glued some thin brass shims to the back of the brush plate to give it more clearance. It is not rubbing, but boy is it close. When looking at it inverted, the final lamination in the armature is past the final lamination of the field. Just seems odd to me. I looked very close behind it, and there does not appear to be any thrust washers between the armature and the bearing. I can just see the tip of the bearing protruding slightly from the housing. I do not see a way to remedy this....Did Lionel put thin washers between the housing and the field during assembly?

The p/o also shimmed all the bearings on the worm shaft and all the axle bearings giving the loco driveline zero play. Stiff!!! And it took a lot of power to run! I removed all the shims in addition to spending several hours scraping glue residue off. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In Bob Hannon's book "O-Gauge Reference Manual I" there is a little information on the large stack motor.  He indicate the length of the armature from the pinion end to the face of the commutator should be 3.352". From the thrust face at the bottom of the laminations to the face of the commutator he shows as 1 1/8". That last number would be the important number, but you can not get to it to check it without pulling the pinion off the shaft and removing the armature from the motor.   He shows the length of the lamination stack as 25/32". 

Thanks for the replies. To answer the last question, no, the armature is not centered in the field. One layer of lamination sticks out past the field. I put it all back together and it runs like a watch. I will post a pic of the motor tomorrow. 

I cannot see how this would happen unless washers were placed in between the bearing and armature. I took a dental pic and probed around in there and there are no thrust washers. Best guess is somehow it was made that way. I tried to put an NOS red brush plate I had on it for looks. The red plate has staked on brush tubes and they hit the armature face. I could not even tighten the screw down.....Odd issue, but unless I want to send it out i suppose I need to live with it. Either way the loco is a super runner. I was always told these 46' berks were difficult to tune and poor runners, but this one is superb! 

I cannot see how this would happen unless washers were placed in between the bearing and armature.

There is an Oilite bearing pressed into each end of the motor housing. As I recall, there are no stops in the casting to control how far those bearing get pressed in. Maybe the bearing that is closest to the armature head isn't pressed in that deeply.

As I already posted, if the engine is running well, and nothing is hitting, I would leave it alone.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.