Skip to main content

Have 2 11405 Lionel Legacy Equipped 2-8-8-2 Norfolk and Western Y3's running together as a Train (lash up).

When you address the Train one starts quicker and pulls at a different rate. It causes the train to pull apart. If you put them on a parallel track one will gain an 2-3 inches over 50 inches. These are new trains. We have tried using same module to add to Legacy but does not fix.

We thought one was running in Legacy mode and the other in TMCC but they are set to Legacy. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Brian-

It might just be the normal performance of both locomotives, but I would check to be sure that the speed steps/momentum are set to the same value for both locomotives. The other setting to check would be the locomotive (independent) brake. That might explain why one accelerates faster than the other.

-John

There is a slight speed difference between the lead and the trailing engines, however they should not be pulling the couplers apart. Also its common when they are not connected that the lead engine will start to pull away

Any chance you have Qydessy shut off on one of them? How about the momentum settings on the remote try setting them to the same setting.

Originally Posted by AcelaNYP:

Brian-

It might just be the normal performance of both locomotives, but I would check to be sure that the speed steps/momentum are set to the same value for both locomotives. The other setting to check would be the locomotive (independent) brake. That might explain why one accelerates faster than the other.

-John

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Originally Posted by cbojanower:

There is a slight speed difference between the lead and the trailing engines, however they should not be pulling the couplers apart. Also its common when they are not connected that the lead engine will start to pull away

Any chance you have Qydessy shut off on one of them? How about the momentum settings on the remote try setting them to the same setting.

We have checked both of those. It is a real mystery. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Chris Lord:

Did you load the engines into the Cab-2 with the Orange modules?  I understand that automatically sets the speed settings so a train works correctly.

Not sure if that is true. There is nothing on the modules that cannot be set in Legacy program and I have never seen a setting for making one engine different than the other

I agree that everything can be set with the CAB-2.  That's why I said "I understand that automatically sets" as opposed to manually setting it.

Here's a thread where Jon Z confirms that the modules set the correct "Max Speed"

It's a shot in the dark but Brian doesn't have a solution at this time and it was worth asking (and perhaps trying) and couldn't hurt.  

Last edited by Chris Lord
Originally Posted by Chris Lord:

I agree that everything can be set with the CAB-2.  That's why I said "I understand that automatically sets" as opposed to manually setting it.

Here's a thread where Jon Z confirms that the modules set the correct "Max Speed"

It's a shot in the dark but Brian doesn't have a solution at this time and it was worth asking (and perhaps trying) and couldn't hurt.  

We are desperate for any suggestions. Thanks Chris. I will pass this along to the customer. 

Originally Posted by Brian Sheffield:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

It's possible to just tinker with the max speed number with the CAB2 and see if he can get a closer match.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I will let you know if it helps. The customer is reading our ideas and hopefully will try it. 

The Max Speed setting does *not* have anything to do with the speed profiles! 

Since these are identical locos and the speeds don't match, I would believe the most likely cause is the motor encoder on one of the locos is not working right. 

As pointed out, running in the loco, lubrication of the loco, and traction tire size could be factors.  Also, check for mechanical binding, as this can cause a speed error.

Note up to 10% variation is OK, and won't harm the locos if they mismatch within this band.  The non-leading loco(s) in a consist also gets another 3% band tolerance.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.