Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by BessemerSam:

My question is this. Can 3 rail locomotives be converted to 2 rail operation? For example, can NKP 765 lionel legacy be converted to 2 rail?

Bessemer Sam,

I asked the same question months ago from an ebay seller,plus from other sources.

I was told an Atlas GP15 3 rail diesel could be converted to 2 rail for about $240 per engine. Add that to the selling price of $300+ and who can afford it? I was also told it's not really worth it when the project is finished.

You asked a good question on the Lionel.I never asked about that,but wondered as they make nice diesels.

If I could buy Atlas 3 rail diesels & convert them by adding scale wheels & flipping a switch on the locomotive like MTH supplies in their Premier line,I'd have had my road switchers in hand a long time ago. I know of at least 5 Atlas 3 rail GP15s setting in hobby shops online waiting to be sold,but there they sit. If a conversion were possible,there would be 2 diesels out of the hobby shops' inventory as well as money in Atlas' pocket. Sort sightedness in the business dept at Atlas. This would also help improve the 2rail market & O scale overall,as I'm sure I'm not the only interested modeler.

This didn't answer your question for which I'm sorry,but we're still on the same page in our line of questioning,only interested in different companies.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Al Hummel

You can do pretty much anything if you throw enough time and money at it. If it is available in 2 rail, I would try and find what you want that way. By doing that, you avoid some of the cosmetic issues that come with 3 rail, such as swinging pilots and railings that are truncated, where they should extend further downward.

The more 2 rail stuff you buy, the more likely it is that more 2 rail stuff will be made. Apart from that, there is a huge secondary 2 rail market out there if you take the time to look.

Simon

Last edited by Simon Winter
Originally Posted by Simon Winter:

You can do pretty much anything if you throw enough time and money at it. If it is available in 2 rail, I would try and find what you want that way. By doing that, you avoid some of the cosmetic issues that come with 3 rail, such as swinging pilots and railings that are truncated, where they should extend further downward.

The more 2 rail stuff you buy, the more likely it is that more 2 rail stuff will be made. Apart from that, there is a huge secondary 2 rail market out there if you take the time to look.

Simon

Simon,

I've been looking for MTH GP38-2s in the YN2 CSX lettering/color scheme,but everywhere I check that "I" an O scale novice,check,turns up nothing,not even a trail of dust except to the built date.

Atlas 2rail GP15s would be fine to. Do you have any leads for me besides Ebay,or the major hobby shops such as The Public Delivery Track,Norm's O scale.High Country Hobbies or JDtrains,all of which I tried plus Atlas itself.

Thank you.

Al Hummel

Lots of Atlas 2 rail locos show up at O Scale 2 rail shows such as the March Meet in Chicago, the Cleveland show in NOvember and the Indy show in September.   I have not been to O scale west, but there are probably some there too.

Not sure about road names but I saw at least 50 different locos at the chicago meet, all Atlas 2 rail. 

I thought Atlas already offered most of their engines in 2 rail as well as 3 rail? I'm 3 rail and have only been back in the hobby for about 4 years, but I think everything I have seen from Atlas since then has been available in both 2 and 3 rail, well at least most of it anyway. Of course they have been difficult to get due to the manufacturing plant changes Atlas has gone through. Maybe more will be available now that they are getting back on track.

There really isn't much need to convert any more.  You can sell the 3-rail stuff and buy 2- rail.  If you cannot find the correct paint scheme, converting that is way cheaper.

But in the olden days there were good reasons for converting.  There were whole industries dedicated to converting the Lionel Hudson to 2-rail.  Joe, above, still does that traditional work, and he does it at a price that will make you smile.

I still have a Lionel FEF and 4-12-2 to convert.  Piece of cake, except for machining the driver tires, which seems to take all day.

Alan is having an extremely difficult time finding stuff in O Scale. He needs to be guided to a custom builder who would be able to modify cars, locomotives, paint jobs, and couplers to his exacting specifications.  We need to let him know that these items he seeks are simply not produced off the shelf in O Scale.  Looking for things that do not exist can be very frustrating.

Originally Posted by bob2:

Alan is having an extremely difficult time finding stuff in O Scale. He needs to be guided to a custom builder who would be able to modify cars, locomotives, paint jobs, and couplers to his exacting specifications.  We need to let him know that these items he seeks are simply not produced off the shelf in O Scale.  Looking for things that do not exist can be very frustrating.

But is he willing to afford a custom builder?

Looking for trains in 2 or 3 rail on the forum here is very time consuming and needs to be watched daily. I think it be nice to be able to just list the engine/car/ 2 or 3 r and have people just click on them and be taken to the post either selling or wanted vs having to scroll thru ad upon ads. All in just one line and a click takes you there. Especially looking for 2 rail stuff which could be presented in a different color.

Back to the original question that I answered YES to.  You asked about converting a Lionel NKP Berkshire.  That can be done and requires machining of the drivers and replacement of all of the other wheel sets.  Diesels are another matter and I do not convert many of them anymore since MTH started making 2 rail convertible trucks.

As far as I know neither MTH nor Lionel offer conversion drivers for their 3 rail models.

As an aside, I was handed three MTH factory 2 railed steam locos in Chicago last month.  Two were PRR J-1 2-10-4 locos and the third was a PRR L-1s Mikado.   Their owner indicated that they would derail going around 84" radius curves.

I brought them home and found all of the models had drivers that were out of gauge per an NMRA wheel gauge.  They were narrow.  I regauged the drivers and shipped them back to their owner last week.  I have not heard if they now negotiate his curves.  They operated on my 72" radius mainline with no problems once the gauge was corrected.

Joe Foehrkolb

Since you are new to the hobby, take a looong time to decide whether to go with 2R or 3R scale NOW...I am 3RS because there are so many available locos that I like. I do not model a specific era or RR, I just love trains so I am Stuck with ugly 3 rails (my opinion, take it easy 3R guys) because there are so many beautiful locos available in 3R. If I was specific to certain RR I'd be a 2R guy.

So, think before you commit because change is expensive.

MTH makes a great Berk and I am almost certain it can be bought as a 2R wheeled...Check it out! good luck.

Originally Posted by BessemerSam:

Well Thank You everyone for getting back to be they way you have. So in short the conversion can be done. I am new to the hobby and do not plan on doing too much for let's say 10 years besides learn about the building of a layout and buying up a few locomotives here and there. Now, regarding the 2 Rail, obviously it would be preferable/more realistic in general to have on layout rather than a 2 rail layout and then a 3 rail layout. I reasoned I'd look into have possible would it (or not) to make the discussed conversions. Thank You all.

If you are looking for Atlas O 2-rail equipment...I suggest you check these folks...

Caboose Stop Hobbies
Address: 301 Main St, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone:(319) 277-1754
Closed today · Hours

They have a Facebook page...but, really respond best to phone calls.  If I understand their business correctly...they are primarily a 2-rail store and a big, big Atlas O dealer.

I hope this leads to something you want.

Joe's work at Baldwin Machine is excellent. In addition to John's collection another local RRer has a two dozen or so MTH/Lionel conversions by Baldwin.

Joe has been doing this so long his two rail conversions show up on swap tables around here.  I have several of them and they are purrrrrfect!

If you can not find the 2 rail loco you want/need and it has not or will not be made, Joe is a reasonable path to take.  You will not be disappointed.

And here's how Joe does it:

http://slideplayer.com/slide/4536727/

Or you can take the route I took and convert your 3-rail engines to 2-rail by removing the center rollers and electronics, and installing Battery-Powered, Remote-Control.  Of course I had a 3-rail system, pulled up the center rail, and kept all the 3-rail wheels on my equipment (except the middle rollers).

Cost...probably about what Joe asks for a conversion.

If you want a berkshire and do not already have one, the US Hobbies and earliear Max Grey versions are quite nice and will handle curves down to 48 inch radius if well laid.    Definitely handle 54 inch radius.    We ran both version on the late Tom Lendzion's layout and they complained a little but stayed on the track through his 48 inch radius curves.   Tom had pained them for a customer.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.