Skip to main content

Hi All,

It has been too long since I did the above and I have forgotten if swapping wheelsets and adding KD's is enough.

So, would someone kindly remind me of the procedure and the source of wheels.  I do remember that passenger cars take 36" wheels.  Thank goodness my memory is not completely gone or is that memory false also?

Thanks,

Ed

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have not swapped wheelsets but have swapped trucks. I think you will need axle wipers if you want to maintain lighting. No idea what wheelsets fit though.

A few years ago I posted on wanted to buy/trade that I wanted to swap two rail trucks with three rail. Luckily someone not far from me had two pair.

I suspect there are others here that might be able to help.

Pete

Hey there diesel Dave!  Man I love the C&O… those cars for me are hard to find.  I think I have two….  As far as wheels- I have a ton of 3 rail GGD wheels that will work in your heavyweights.  Let’s see if we can swap em!  I will go check this morning to give you a count!

my email is rstoffregen21@gmail.com and phone is 513-263-0973.  Feel free to correspond via text or email.

thanks!

rick

Hello Rick!

Thank you for your reply! I would certainly appreciate the help getting these cars converted to 3 Rail! Do you know what I need to do to have couplers as well? I have only been collecting for about 11 years so I’m not very well versed on the parts needed situation🤭 i will contact you shortly! Thank You very much Rick!!! 👍🏻

Respectfully

Diesel Dave Smith

Hey there diesel Dave!  Man I love the C&O… those cars for me are hard to find.  I think I have two….  As far as wheels- I have a ton of 3 rail GGD wheels that will work in your heavyweights.  Let’s see if we can swap em!  I will go check this morning to give you a count!

my email is rstoffregen21@gmail.com and phone is 513-263-0973.  Feel free to correspond via text or email.

thanks!

rick

Rick, email sent.  I have "a ton of 2 rail GGD wheels" and am looking for GGD lightweight 3R wheels and pickups.   :-)  Perhaps we can trade.

@BlueFeather posted:

Rick, email sent.  I have "a ton of 2 rail GGD wheels" and am looking for GGD lightweight 3R wheels and pickups.   :-)  Perhaps we can trade.

Trading wheelsets is an excellant option but going to three rail and wanting lights you will have to add pickup rollers. Further if you don’t use Kadees you may want big claws. Before I located a couple of GGD three rail trucks I used Lionel trucks. They actually roll easier and have better detail with working springs. You only have to drill a new hole in the GGD mounting plate as the Lionel mounting pin is off center. Easy peasy.

GGD truck

FE48798E-40B0-4D0C-8F98-DC6638D66103

Lionel Truck

7FC4CF2B-7D21-4514-90B2-204A212FDBAE

Pete

Attachments

Images (2)
  • FE48798E-40B0-4D0C-8F98-DC6638D66103
  • 7FC4CF2B-7D21-4514-90B2-204A212FDBAE
Last edited by Norton

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653