Skip to main content

Below are pictures of two of seven circus flatcars with circus wagon loads that will make their debut on the SGMA layout at Trainfest in Milwaukee on November 9-10.  Amazingly, while MTH (LCT) has manufactured 200 series circus box, circus cattle, circus gondola, circus tank, and circus caboose cars (plus a circus 400e locomotive), to date they have not produced any 200 series circus flatcars with circus wagon loads. 

To correct this oversight, I contracted with a model circus wagon builder and together we designed Standard Gauge-sized circus wagons and siderails that would fit perfectly on MTH/LCT Standard Gauge 200 series flat cars.  Below are pictured some of the results of our efforts, a 200 series circus flatcar with an orange circus bandwagon, and another 200 series circus flatcar with white calliope and lion tableau circus wagons.  I'll post pictures of the other five circus flatcars over the next few weeks leading up to Trainfest.  

Better yet, come to Trainfest in Milwaukee and see them all rolling along together on the SGMA layout in my Standard Gauge version of the famous Schlitz Beer Circus Train!

Bob

200 series Circus Flat Cars 001

200 series Circus Flat Cars 002

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 001: 200 series circus flatcar with orange circus bandwagon load
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 002: 200 series circus flatcar with a white calliope wagon and white lion tableau wagon load
Last edited by navy.seal
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Southwest Hiawatha:

Wow. Very impressive, to say the least. Are the wagons modeled after prototypes at Baraboo? 

All are modeled loosely after Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus wagons but not after any specific ones at the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI.  However, as you may know the museum occupies what was formerly the summer headquarters for the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey circus and is where most of their historic circus wagons are on display.  As you may also know the museum was the starting point for the annual Schlitz Beer/Circus World Museum circus train headed to Milwaukee for "Old Milwaukee Days" and the annual 4th of July circus parade on the public streets of Milwaukee.  As a kid/teen, I never missed a parade and on a couple of occasions was trackside waving and cheering with hundreds of other train and circus enthusiasts as the ultimate circus train rolled by.  Come see my Standard Gauge version of this train at Trainfest!

Bob

Below are pictures of three more unique 200 series circus flat cars with circus wagons.

Come see these cars along with the entire Standard Gauge version of the famous Schlitz Beer/Circus World Museum circus train, and many other great tinplate Standard Gauge trains from the past, in action on the SGMA layout at Trainfest in Milwaukee, November 9-10.

More unique circus flats posted next week.

Bob Nelson

200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 003
200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 004
200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 005

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 003: 200 series circus flat car with two black circus cage wagons load
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 004: 200 series circus flat car with two blue circus tableau wagons load
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 005: 200 series circus flat car with two green circus cage wagons load
Last edited by navy.seal

Below are the final two pictures of the unique 200 series flat cars transformed into unique Standard Gauge circus flat cars, which will be making their first runs at Trainfest 2013 in Milwaukee.  Come see these cars and the rest of my Standard Gauge version of the famous Schlitz Beer/Circus World Museum circus train in action at Trainfest.

Also, be sure to bring your own Standard Gauge trains to Trainfest in Milwaukee, November 9-10, in order to participate in the fun with other SGMA members of operating your trains on the SGMA layout.  Hope to see your trains there. 

Bob Nelson

200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 006

200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 007

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 006: 200 series circus flat car with two yellow tableau wagons
  • 200 series Circus Flat Cars 2 007: 200 series circus flat car with two red tableau wagons
Originally Posted by CP BOB:

Those are truly magnificient cars. Are they one of a kind or will more be produced? I'm just getting started in Std Gauge and would love to put a circus train together. Unfortunately, I can't come to Trainfest.

Bob

For the present they are unique and more are not scheduled to be produced.  That said, sometime in the future more may be made.  They are all based on MTH 200 series flat cars on which custom-made circus side rails and wagons have been mounted. 

Over a year ago I recommended to MTH (LCT) that they needed to produce some 200 series circus flat cars with circus wagons to go with their other 200 series box, cattle, gondola, tank and caboose circus cars but they never responded positively to my suggestion.   I plan to show these circus flat cars to MTH reps at Trainfest.  Hopefully they will respond positively and in the near future produce their own 200 series circus flat cars with a variety of circus wagons. 

Sad to learn you can't make it to Trainfest.  However, I am sure several videos will be taken of these cars in action at Trainfest.  Be on the lookout for them after Trainfest is over.

Bob Nelson

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.