Skip to main content

Everyone knows the journal boxes on the powered trucks were known for zink pest. I realize this possibility if one were to get one of these sets. Does this zink pest issue go for the non powered units also? Did the whole factory run have this issue?  If one was to possibly get the non powered trucks from lionel while they still have them in stock to repair the powered trucks with this issue. Would they eventually have this issue over time? Would this issue prevent you from getting this model?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, the zinc pest problem shows up in both powered and non powered trucks. The journals are a common part and all were made, and mixed together in inventory.

Check to see if the shock absorber is in place, when the journal has the pest, it grows and the shock absorber which is a press fit falls out.

At the right price, the Acela set is still a great operating consist.

choochoopaul thanks. since you are the acela guru. when buying a used set, what about the doors should one look for? did not some models have bad pcb motor controll boards?

Revision B boards for the Cat arms.  I think they 2 boards you need are $30.00 each from  Lionel parts.  While your at it, purchase a truck assembly for the journals.  You will probbly end up with about 3 bad ones.  I based that on the 3 Acela sets I have put in proper operating order.  Sold all 3 sets.  One to OGR for a future article.

The biggest problem with the doors is the grease they used.  It hardens like wax.

When you rebuild the door assemblies, use red and tacky for grease and a TEFE oil for the gears.

Make sure when you put 3.5 VDC to operate the door motors, make sure you disconnect the plug from the board first.  You don't want to run voltage to the board.  The board puts out, but does not talke in voltage.

Do this and your set will be better than the reissue.  FYI, it will take about 12 hours to do 6 cars and 2 engines.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.