Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am planning on buying the Pennsylvania Limited (the 4-4-0 passenger set), and I have the Hogwarts Express. I know that set and the Polar Express are hugely popular. As for some of the others, I don't know.

If you mean the remote sets, I would assume kids who are not going to get into the hobby much, since it only sorta works with other systems.

If you mean the theme sets, I have been trying to figure that out for YEARS!

I think that Lionel really draws alot of attention to the whisical themes.  For example, the halloween docksider with ghouls in the cab, the North Pole Central Berkshire and Docksider with the Santa Clause in the cab, operating radar cars and fireman cars...these are just a few examples.  There's alot of potential with the Area 51 theme...but when you look at the starter set in this catalog...the graphics just don't look good.  Great idead but lousy execution.

Sunrise

I didn't get a chance to comment in the other RTR thread, but here is my take.  For kids, or a Christmas set, most will adapt pretty well to the remote control, especially if it is all they have had experience with.  Lionel is using it across the board in all new sets, and I bet just by weight alone they are saving $$ in shipping costs as opposed to a traditional transformer. 

Someone asked if hobbyists are worried about the remote system. As long as the engines have a provision to be operated conventionally I don't see any logistical issues, but I do see a more long reaching one; the traditional transformer, and especially the ZW, give a very real feeling of control to the operator.  The hum of the unit, the weight, the gravity of grabbing those levers for the first time, I'm sure left some very indelible images in the minds of many children who are now large pike operators.  Sad to see that go. 

I never understood how some of Lionel's items sell (beatles box cars, halloween items, etc), but sell they do, and in the end it's a good thing. 

I like the Santa Fe RS3 set. Most dealers have it on preorder for about $150 which isn't bad at all to try out the new remote. I also like the area 51 and Chattanooga sets. I was thinking about the Polar Express remote set but since I already have all the Polar Express stuff it would be cheaper just to put tmcc/rs in my existing P.E engine. I'm also tempted to get the Peanuts Halloween set, from the catalog it looks like a very sharp set.

I go pretty heavy on the RTR offerings. Many are variations on the old PW series, which runs very well on my layout. The upper scale catalogs have things that just don't run on my 036, (which is one reason I like Lionmaster, it works). I have a Legacy System, but have been real selective on high end stuff. I like the Gingerbread Set, Area 51, and many add-on cars, like Peanuts and LIRR.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.