Skip to main content

Wanted to send an update to all our fans on some of the new projects in the 2015 C2 Catalog. Let’s start with the Consolidations. Many of you have called and emailed (and posted here!) about the tender on Southern 630 in particular. We know this Consolidation is not an entirely accurate model for the 630 or many of the other roadnames included. However, if giving it a tender closer to the prototype will help – then the tender you will have!  We will be substituting the tender used on our USRA Mikados for the PRR E6 tender on these locomotives. Because this tender is at least a little closer in appearance for all of the locomotives, except those using Vanderbilts, we will make the change on the Milwaukee Road, Nickel Plate and Western Maryland versions as well.

We know this still does not get us off the hook for creating a completely accurate version of the 630, 734 or other Consolidations. Such a project will require a substantial amount of new tooling. So if you really want it – let us know!  We’re listening!

Look for some more updates here later today. Updates will be sent to your dealers early next week as well. Please contact them (and Lionel Customer Service) after Wednesday next week (9/23/15) if you have any questions.

6-82180_New_Nickle_Plate_Consolidation_FLT

6-82181_NEW_Western_Maryland_ConsolidationFLT

6-82182_NEW_2_TNDR_MILW_Rd_Consolidation_FLT

6-82875_NEW2_TNDR_Southern_Consolidation_FLT

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 6-82180_New_Nickle_Plate_Consolidation_FLT: 6-82180 NKP Legacy 2-8-0 Consolidation (with USRA tender)
  • 6-82181_NEW_Western_Maryland_ConsolidationFLT: 6-82181 WM Legacy 2-8-0 Consolidation (with USRA tender)
  • 6-82182_NEW_2_TNDR_MILW_Rd_Consolidation_FLT: 6-82182 Milw Rd Legacy 2-8-0 Consolidation (with USRA tender)
  • 6-82875_NEW2_TNDR_Southern_Consolidation_FLT: 6-82875 Southern Legacy 2-8-0 Consolidation (with USRA tender)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by hirailsteve:
Originally Posted by Doug N:

Will they have whistle steam?

Catalog page 35 which has the Consolidations says they will. 

I would like to hear that from mike.  The Lima Berk also, stated it had whistle steam and it didn't.  I preordered it mainly because of that.  If it does I'm ordering the NKP.

Last edited by Doug N
Originally Posted by hirailsteve:

Will they have whistle steam?

Catalog page 35 which has the Consolidations says they will. 

I would like to hear that from mike....

I would also like to hear that from Mike.

There is confusion because the catalog says it, but doesn't depict it in the picture.

Many potential buyers on the fence about these until Whistle Steam is/isn't confirmed a feature.  More orders for Lionel if it does.

Originally Posted by Mikado: 

We know this still does not get us off the hook for creating a completely accurate version of the 630, 734 or other Consolidations. Such a project will require a substantial amount of new tooling. So if you really want it – let us know!  We’re listening!

After seeing this Lionel catalog, I was considering the MTH version of the 734 (or other WM #) even though I don't have DCS or intend to get it. I would need to run it in conventional mode with a TPC, or add ERR.

If your post means that there could still be design upgrades to this release, to more accurately depict the engine, I would prefer to wait - let us know.

Dave

Last edited by Dtrainmaster

Mr Reagan -

Excellent move - but it may cost me money (your plan, all along)...as the C&A (Alton) was once a Harriman road and had some Harriman 2-8-0's in the same family as your SP/UP prototype, and they had tenders more like (not just like - smaller) the ones you will actually deliver. So, your loco more truly reflects the Alton loco.

And I'm not afraid to re-decal anything. 

So thanks, I think...

(BTW, I have one of the "old" SP 2-8-0's - TMCC/no Odyssey - and those locos were equipped with an un-sprung leading truck - every one of the old ones that I've ever been around loves to derail that truck. Was this ever improved? I haven't seen any of the later editions. Pretty sure that I can fix mine, but never have - too many projects.)  

Last edited by D500

Mike, moving the bell on 630 would help.  But, the Harriman Consolidations are actually much closer in accuracy to another Southern Consolidation, the 401 which is operating in Illinois.  It would be excellent if you also added the 401 (or perhaps maybe B&O 2785 to go with my B&O 2784 ), which could be easily done by moving the bell to the front (at the very edge of the top of the smokebox, instead of the top front of the smokebox like 630) and using the tender from your 2-6-0's.  But changing the tender on the ones you have mentioned might cause me to spring for a NKP...

wish you would do a T&NO / SP version of the consolidation. And, while you are at it make a model of a T&NO / SP Mikado like the #786. 

T&NO #786

Lionel is making an SP version.

Doug, the SP version is just the UP prototype with SP lettering.  There are differences in the Vanderbilt tender and Lionel's SP version does not have SP's distinctive silver boiler front.  But the most glaring difference as you can see from this photo is the placement of the marker lights.  They should not be on the boiler front.  That bothered me so much with the earlier run of this engine that I relocated mine to their proper position alongside of the smoke box and then painted the boiler front silver.

Originally Posted by PeterA:

wish you would do a T&NO / SP version of the consolidation. And, while you are at it make a model of a T&NO / SP Mikado like the #786. 

T&NO #786

Lionel is making an SP version.

Doug, the SP version is just the UP prototype with SP lettering.  There are differences in the Vanderbilt tender and Lionel's SP version does not have SP's distinctive silver boiler front.  But the most glaring difference as you can see from this photo is the placement of the marker lights.  They should not be on the boiler front.  That bothered me so much with the earlier run of this engine that I relocated mine to their proper position alongside of the smoke box and then painted the boiler front silver.

That's true, but in the catalog the SP version is shown to have the silver boiler front, making the tender and the marker lights the biggest errors.  Also, compared to the UP prototype, the tender seems to be more accurate to SP (for instance the real UP 618 is a coal burner, not an oil burner as cataloged, and the tender is proportioned differently).

Originally Posted by Mikado 4501:
Mike Reagan said that if we really want an accurate model of #630 and want to wait for them to spend money to obtain new tooling to do that, we should say so. Personally, I'd rather wait for THAT to happen. If they do that, I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait and extra money.

I think I agree with you on that, Mikado 4501.

Originally Posted by Dave Warburton:

...I had the same problem with my Consolidation back in the day... I finally sold it at a loss. 

Well, that's not news.  Virtually everything I sell is at a loss, often significant. Looking at the Forum Buy/Sell, almost everything there seems to sell for substantial losses. That's how it is with most things - items sell for less on re-sale. (And of course, your engine was used.)

Last edited by breezinup

breezinup, yes, I agree that most things sell for a loss. You are lucky to get what you paid for something. The Consolidation was actually only run for a minute or so since it kept derailing. I took it to my service station and they tried to fix the problem but were unsuccessful, which prompted me to sell it. At a loss. I was not happy, but sometimes you just lose. Lionel should have done something to fix the problem even if it meant refunding people's money but they chose not to.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.