Skip to main content

I know some of our forum members have already started to put up their 2015 Christmas Layouts and I'd like this thread to be a place where we can all share our Christmas Layout photos.

I usually start my Christmas Layout Thanksgiving Weekend, but I want to get this started so here is one of my photos from last year.

DSC02038edcr

Happy Holidays to all my hobby friends! 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC02038edcr
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

DSC_8388

I did not finish my tree trimming until late in 2014, and I don't intend to start in 2015 until December.  Here is my look from last year.  I went with Standard Gauge.

DSC_8392

The train was the Lionel Classics Fireball Express.  Red 390E with maroon roofs and yellow trim.  

DSC_8393

New and old buildings.  Plasticville cathedral and new Grand Central Terminal.

DSC_8394

DSC_8395

Tinplate, plastic and ceramic buildings along with tinplate train.

DSC_8398

Plus a Department 56 version of a train... and station.  This one plays Perry Como's "Home for the Holidays."

Attachments

Images (6)
  • DSC_8388
  • DSC_8392
  • DSC_8393
  • DSC_8394
  • DSC_8395
  • DSC_8398

Got the carpet vacuumed & cleaned, including behind the TV, and Version 1.0 of the Christmas Layout down.  Waiting on bumpers for the sidings from Pat's.  Going to check clearances with an MTH Baldwin M-1 tonight, then partially disassemble for tree set-up this weekend.  The tree will go about where the basket is.  Will post an update when everything's up & running.

Xmas Layout - 01

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Xmas Layout - 01
Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet:

Got the carpet vacuumed & cleaned, including behind the TV, and Version 1.0 of the Christmas Layout down.  Waiting on bumpers for the sidings from Pat's.  Going to check clearances with an MTH Baldwin M-1 tonight, then partially disassemble for tree set-up this weekend.  The tree will go about where the basket is.  Will post an update when everything's up & running.

Xmas Layout - 01

That cat looks tuckered out from supervising. 

Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet:
Originally Posted by O-gauger:
That cat looks tuckered out from supervising. 

Just biding his time until someone goes to the kitchen for more food.

I used to have a cat that assumed we put the Christmas layout up for her enjoyment - was always napping somewhere between the tracks and buildings. Never messed with any of it though. 

Although not O gauge, this is Christmas themed so I thought I'd post it here. UK train operating company Virgin Trains East Coast has painted one of its Class 91 electrics and a companion driving van trailer (cab car) in a special Christmas livery. Courtesy of railway webcam provider www.railcam.uk here is the locomotive passing the site's webcam at York on the East Coast Main Line this morning. Santa's sure got a sweet ride this year!

Bob

CHRISTMAS91

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CHRISTMAS91
Last edited by CNJ 3676

Super pics everyone!

Started getting the Christmas stuff up yesterday evening. Got the tree up and mostly decorated. Needs a few more ornaments putting on the back.

Tonight Mason and I could wait no longer and got the basic track down. 

Ordered a few new bits for this year including the 45 deg crossing to add a bit more interest. More to do but here's a in progress pic..

Nick

Attachments

Images (1)
Originally Posted by Scrambler81:

Built this for my oldest son's 2nd Christmas, so this is the 15th year we've run it. This is the first year we've included the fake snow and the Christmas buildings.

To me, that looks clever, great fun, and exciting. And dreamy. And pretty. Congratulations on the success of it! Bravo!!!!!!

FrankM.

artfull dodger posted:
Scrambler81 posted:

Built this for my oldest son's 2nd Christmas, so this is the 15th year we've run it. This is the first year we've included the fake snow and the Christmas buildings.

Chris, what is the dimensions of that layout?   I really like the track plan and use of space.  Mike

The platform is 6'3" square, with one corner cut off. I took the track plan from a book. Our old house was quite small, so we would remove the dining room table to fit in the tree. This was made to fit in that spot. There was actually a short wall between the front door and the dining area, and the chopped corner kept people from turning into it and tripping. The oak trim was stained to match the dining room hutch, so it looked like it belonged in there. In the before pic, you can see the home made tree stand, and I also wired in 4 electrical outlets and a switch for the tree lights. My wife loves that part. Not being a carpenter, and having never built a layout before this one, I've really been very pleased with how this turned out and how well it has held together.

Very nice layouts / displays. I took 2 weeks of work to build a 34 x 20 foot display at our Railway museum for the Polar Express train event. Over 4 weekends we have train rides all day, then families come into the North Pole (roundhouse) where I have my display set up. 13 trains running half of them have LionChief remotes on the fence so kids can control the trains, little engines beside them have sounds for each of the matching engines kids can hear the sounds. Other controls for them to activate different things. Overhead I mounted a slow motor turning making Santa and reindeer and characters from the Planes movies flying. Lots of the Lemax etc. animated figures and buildings etc.

Everyone comes around the corner and says WOW then the kids favorite things they see are the Minions on a couple of cars and a gateman that moves, Frozen movie figures, of course Thomas and friends and a display of the town of Radiator Springs from the Cars movie similar to Disneyland.

Lots of fun with all ages enjoying the display some staying for long periods of time to see the village and trains.p1p2p3p4p5p6p7p8p9

Attachments

Images (9)
  • p1
  • p2
  • p3
  • p4
  • p5
  • p6
  • p7
  • p8
  • p9

Our Christmas layout is on an 8' x 8' platform and is a little unusual combining Lionel trains and Lego Modular building along with some of our own creations.  We are running the Polar Express on the outer loop, Hallmark's Toymaker Express on the inner loop and a trolley.

Enjoy,

EddieZ, Austin, TX

IMG_1870IMG_1871IMG_1872IMG_1873IMG_1874IMG_1875IMG_1876IMG_1877IMG_1878IMG_1879IMG_1880IMG_1881IMG_1882

Attachments

Images (13)
  • IMG_1870: Hallmark Angel Choir & Peanuts Choir
  • IMG_1871: January brings the Lego Ghostbusters Headquarters
  • IMG_1872: Our elementary school
  • IMG_1873
  • IMG_1874
  • IMG_1875
  • IMG_1876
  • IMG_1877
  • IMG_1878
  • IMG_1879
  • IMG_1880
  • IMG_1881
  • IMG_1882

DSCN1381DSCN1380Ladies & Gentlemen,

Construction on the PCRR Christmas layout continues, with the addition of the RealTrax inner loop on the 2nd level for the new Hallmark/Lionel Santa Train.  There definitely is a need for MTH RealTrax on our Christmas layout, this is the 2nd inner loop on different levels now, and this loop has both the older solid and newer tubular RealTrax, some with black middle rail, some without.  I do have one question for the guys running Legacy on RealTrax.  How are you attaching the Legacy base wire to the opposite outside rail of the DCS TIU connections.  I really do not want to solder the Legacy line to the RealTrax.

Suggestions definitely welcome!DSCN1378

PCRR/DaveDSCN1377

Attachments

Images (4)
  • DSCN1377
  • DSCN1378
  • DSCN1380
  • DSCN1381
Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad
Pine Creek Railroad posted:
I do have one question for the guys running Legacy on RealTrax.  How are you attaching the Legacy base wire to the opposite outside rail of the DCS TIU connections.  I really do not want to solder the Legacy line to the RealTrax.

Why does the connection need to be on the opposite rail?  Why not just connect the Legacy to the TIU like MTH suggests?

Sinclair,

Per Marty F's outstanding advise, I do run the Legacy line on the TIU connections, and also drop a Legacy Base Line directly to the opposite outside rail from the Legacy  TIU connection, to maximize the Legacy signal to the engine, it works very very well.  The FasTrack has connections on it's opposite outside rail underneath the track, the RealTrax has none.  I want to set the 2nd level Legacy RealTrax up in the same manner I do the FasTrack for ultimate Legacy signal Control.

PCRR/Dave

Sinclair,

Thanks for the advise, it may very well come to that, I am also thinking about drilling the opposite outside solid rail, slipping the Legacy Base Wire thru the hole and using a small screw to secure the line, if this technique sets up a good signal path, I will not need to solder, if not then I will solder.  Was actually hoping for some way to use the MTH lighted lock on from the opposite side of the track, and just connect to the outside rail, got to look at this technique a little more, it just might be that easy.

After further investigation, it is exactly that easy, turn the track around insert the MTH lighted lock on, and the opposite outside rail is good to go, for the Legacy base line connection, on the Black Channel.  

PCRR/Dave

Ladies & Gentlemen,

The PCRR Christmas Construction is making head way, tested the different track levels and programmed the new Lionel Legacy  Scale 317 Northern Pacific, you got to hear and see this engine, no video can do it justice, smooth and powerful beyond imagination, the more I run these Legacy engines, the more I love'em.

PCRR/DaveDSCN1384

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN1384
Frank A. Mills posted:

My Village of Make Believe, continuing a family tradition started in the late 1800s, now into its seventh generation with my great grandson.  The Facebook Page  includes photos several years, including 2015.  It is also where I post a continuing story in photos of the Village.  The two attachments to this post have their accompanying story on the Facebook page (caption has link).

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Fettziwig: Story: https://www.facebook.com/villageofmakebelieve/photos/a.607760889295372.1073741827.607759732628821/991713300900127/?type=3&theater
  • depot: Story: https://www.facebook.com/villageofmakebelieve/photos/a.992181687519955.1073741849.607759732628821/992181707519953/?type=3&theater
Last edited by Frank A. Mills

Fantastic work everyone.  I'm envious.  Working on something for this year in our new house.  Will be very, very simple but larger than any carpet RR we've previously had (more track).  For now, here's a couple pics from our window seat bumper line from last year.  Sadly, no window seat this year to build the bumper line on.

Hope to post some pics of the barren carpet RR soon.

Keep these inspirational photos coming!!

Thanks,

Ron

2014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A9935-Edit2014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A99372014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A99152014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A9919

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 2014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A9935-Edit: The Express coming to town.
  • 2014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A9937: Passing Ralphie's.
  • 2014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A9915: Christmas Trolley taking shoppers downtown.
  • 2014 Window Seat Bumper Line-WIndow seat Christmas %22bumper%22 line_L7A9919: The reason for the season.
Last edited by FrankfordJunction

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Well the over all picture of the 2015 PCRR Christmas layout is starting to come together, with the addition of the inner 2nd level RealTrax loop for the new Santa Train coming Christmas morning, for around the foot of the Bear Hugging Christmas Tree, and some of the Christmas Village below on the 1st level.  Further additional pictures to come as work progresses.

Todays job, Programming the ERR upgraded 249 Tin Plate Engine & Tender, you see on the outside 2nd level in the picture, into the Legacy Cab2, with the outstanding directions GunRunnerJohn, has taken pity on me, and so nicely provided.  

Merry Christmas everybody!DSCN1391DSCN1388DSCN1389

PCRR/Dave

Attachments

Images (3)
  • DSCN1391
  • DSCN1388
  • DSCN1389

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com